Glass block basement window installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi fellow experts,

Upon in-depth, extensive online search, I decided to ask here since I haven't found the answer I was seeking.
My basement window has a metal sash and frame as shown in the pictures. I want to replace it with a pre-assembled glass block window. In online search, I learned that people used mortar to install a glass block window. But, my window sits on wood, not cement as shown in the pictures.
1. Do I still need to use mortar to install the glass block window or construct adhesive would be sufficient? Are mortar and construct adhesive the same thing?
2. The metal frame seems to be stuck in the cement. Can I just put the glass block window behind the frame and caulk after installation or does the frame need to be removed?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20181111_145658.jpg
    20181111_145658.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 746
  • 20181111_150219.jpg
    20181111_150219.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 793
  • 20181111_150331.jpg
    20181111_150331.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,417
  • 20181111_150646.jpg
    20181111_150646.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mortar and construction adhesive are not the same thing...mortar is a cement based material, while adhesives can be silicon, urethane, epoxy, etc. based.

You need to waterproof your opening as if it were a traditional window. Wood won't survive with mortar or adhesive on it as the sealant to the window frame.

I suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com where they deal with tile and similar things exclusively.

You're going to need some flashing to direct water outside and away from the wood. I'm not sure of the best way to do that, you'll have better luck over there. FWIW, mortar isn't waterproof, either, but it isn't damaged by being wetted.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The glass block should be installed in the concrete. The steel frame can be cut out of the opening and concrete opening ground and parged in preparation for the glass block. If there is wood in the concrete window opening, it can be removed or cut back and trimmed out to look nice. The only wood will be the upper sill plate which runs the length of the wall.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice.
@ chcher_chick,
Do you mean to put cement on the wood (bottom side of the opening) and put the window? OR remove or cut back the wood on the bottom and put cement? The cement part of the window opening (currently outside of the existing window) is about two inches, but the glass block window is three inch deep. So, if I can't put cement on the wood (bottom side), I have to remove it, right?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your goal should be to have no wood exposed to the exterior. Glass block is 3-7/8" thick, so at least 4" of concrete needs to be exposed (measured from the outside-in) for the block to fit flush in the opening.

Sometimes the rough opening is excessively large for a manufactured glass block insert, and then the opening size will need to be reduced using mortar and precast sill or blocks.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Just want to double check,,,
So, if I put cement 4" from the outside, the cement will cover up about 2" of existing foundation cement and 2" of wood, then there will be no wood exposed to the exterior. This method is not good ? I should cut the wood about 2" ?
I would like to confirm this because cutting out the wood looks hard in the situation.
Thank you again!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
FH98APR_GLASBL_01-2-01.jpeg

There should be no wood around the bottom or sides of the glass block. In proper construction, wood and concrete never touch one another. Also consider that the glass block does not have to be set back in the opening, it can be installed flush with the outside.

Last edited:

Sandy T

Reaction score
I didn't see the picture when I first saw your reply. Thanks for the picture!!
And, thanks for the advice for making flush with the outside wall. That was one of my next questions!
I have a couple more questions, though. :)

1. The opening size is about 12.5 x 32. Should I put in a wall tie somewhere?
2. On the top of the opening, there is a steel frame that is thicker and stronger than the bottom and side frames. Is it ok to remove it? Just worried if it bears any weight on it.

I am really grateful for your time!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot see what you see, the existing window frame is one component, which is to be removed. Some masons use steel plate to bridge the gap over the rough opening of a window or door, that should be left alone if it exists.

I don't know what you you might do with a wall tie in this application.

Sandy T

Reaction score
OK, thanks!
With my limited knowledge, I can't determine if it is a component of the frame or a plate bridging the gap.
I will try to take a picture. It's hard to take a picture of it, though.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Would you take a look and see if it is a part of the frame or foundation? It is the top side of the window opening.
Also, someone suggested putting a cement block over the wood (bottom of the window) and screw it to secure the cement block and the wood. Then, putting the glass block on the cement block. Does it sound work?

Attachments

• 20181111_145852.jpg
    20181111_145852.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 537

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I dont see what you are seeing. A structural plate would be as wide as the concrete wall is thick, or at least close.

I am not understanding why you would leave any wood on the bottom. No wood should be left on the concrete sides or bottom. The interior can be finished out with wallboard and/or wood trim after the window is installed.

Sandy T

Reaction score
The steel frame is about 1" thick top down, but not as wide as the concrete wall is thick. Maybe it is not a structural plate.

In fact, the idea of putting a cement block was a handyman's. I wasn't confident that I could remove the wood on the bottom myself (it really doesn't look easy to do- it is a wood plate, not a dry wall), so I invited a handyman. Then, he explained that he would do it that way, so I asked here again. Should I look for someone else?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Cement blocks can be used to make the window opening smaller if need be. They would be mortared in place just like if one were building a wall.

I have not heard any justification for leaving wood at the bottom. Once the window frame is gone the wood can be cut into a couple of placed and removed from the opening.

Carol D

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. I understand mortaring 3 sides that are brick - bottom and left/right. At the top is the wood sill plate that the stick construction sits on. What do you/use to attach/seal the pre-assembled glass block window to that? I understand it needs to be flexible to adjust to thermo variations. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks