Removing Bonnet - Pressure Reducing Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ProxyBox

Reaction score
Hi, I recently sprung a pinhole leak in my copper pipe underneath the house. I patched it with a temporary clamp-on sleeve. I know that there are several causes of this, but I wanted to check the pressure. I reduced it from 60psi to 50psi.

After I performed the adjustment, my D05 Honeywell Pressure Reducing Valve starting making the loud vibrating noises everytime a water fixture opened (cavitation, I think). I would like to change the diaphram but I cannot get the bonnet off. As the instructions state; I turned off the main, loosened the set screw and opened a faucet inside the house. I'm using a opened ended wrench to try and pry it off, but I'm afraid that I'll ruin the copper attachments if I push too hard. Since the bonnet is made out of plastic, it also scratches very easily. Actually I'm using all my might. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

jon
los angeles, ca

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
A pressure reducing valve that has a plastic bonnet, all exterior parts should be of brass, are you sure your talking about a PRV valve?

Or are you talking about a faucet inside the house?

ProxyBox

Reaction score
Prv

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, it is a PRV. Here is the link for the model: <href>https://terrylove.com/prv_hw.htm<\href>

It is also plastic. Everytime I get a wrench on it, the plastic deforms and scratches.

Jon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks