Relocate sediment trap BEFORE flex gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

Niccolo

Reaction score
Facinating! I'm interpreting the picture example to mean that all sediment traps now be horizontal looking like a long pipe. "Gas supply inlet" is a dead giveaway. Picture should really be flipped on its side, ha! ha!

Here's a pic of what I ended up with. Had to change the drain valve anyway. I know, it's amateur hour, but feel free to comment. Don't worry, Im a big boy View attachment 61276

I'm still curious what others think of your sediment trap layout. Logically, it seems to me more likely to effectively trap sediment than the standard design, but I have no professional expertise on this topic whatsoever.

Phog

Reaction score
I'm still curious what others think of your sediment trap layout. Logically, it seems to me more likely to effectively trap sediment than the standard design, but I have no professional expertise on this topic whatsoever.

I have only ever seen them with the gas coming in from the top; in DIYER39's picture the inlet is from the side, which I have not seen. However (in my completely nonprofessional opinion) I also can't see why this wouldn't work just as well. Either way, the way I've heard it told, sediment traps are something that was more relevant back in older times when illuminating gas or town gas still had humidity and moisture in it. The moisture would collect into droplets, make the inside of your pipes flake rust off, and the drops/flakes could get into orifices etc. These days the gas is all made completely dry before it goes into the pipes so drip legs / sediment traps aren't needed anymore. But the custom of having them was written into code many years ago & remains there. It makes sense to me, but I'm not a professional. Maybe one of the pros here can confirm this story?

DIYER39

Reaction score
I have only ever seen them with the gas coming in from the top; in DIYER39's picture the inlet is from the side, which I have not seen. However (in my completely nonprofessional opinion) I also can't see why this wouldn't work just as well. Either way, the way I've heard it told, sediment traps are something that was more relevant back in older times when illuminating gas or town gas still had humidity and moisture in it. The moisture would collect into droplets, make the inside of your pipes flake rust off, and the drops/flakes could get into orifices etc. These days the gas is all made completely dry before it goes into the pipes so drip legs / sediment traps aren't needed anymore. But the custom of having them was written into code many years ago & remains there. It makes sense to me, but I'm not a professional. Maybe one of the pros here can confirm this story?

I think the code diagram is a little funky. If I were to follow it perfectly, I guess I could use an elbow and flow gas into the top and out of the side to the water heater. Have not seen it done that way before.

I think this is kind of a grey area for plumbers and from what I've read, most inspectors just want to make sure the homeowner didn't create a bomb. But what do I know. Can any pros comment?

Niccolo

Reaction score

It's interesting that standard practice is *never* to empty sediment traps during the life of a water heater or other appliance, the implication being that very little is expected to build up in them. That makes me think they're more to catch some random debris that ends up in the pipes, say from pipe fitting, than ongoing debris from either dirty gas or flaking pipes, which would build up over time.

And yes, one shouldn't be encouraging a homeowner to empty a sediment trap, because of risks associated with reestablishing a gas seal. But it could be standard advice to have a professional empty them every X years, just like it's standard advice to check the water heater sacrificial anode and replace it if it's more than 50 percent deteriorated (and yes, I'm aware that advice is rarely actually followed, and lots of water heaters are installed in a way where the anode can't be removed/replaced without uninstalling the heater, because there isn't enough space above them).

Last edited:

DIYER39

Reaction score
This morning I spoke with a very nice gentleman from the IAPMO and I wanted to pass along some information. He is an expert in the field and is also very familiar with southern California. He was very helpful and willing to explain everything in detail, but Ill try to sum things up below. Basically, he stated:

Sediment traps do in fact have to be placed before the flex line now.
There are a few different ways to use the Tee fitting that are indeed acceptable and comply with code.
Gas coming in vertically to the top of the Tee fitting would technically be more effective, but not necessarily the only way to do it.
He pointed out that southern California does not have much sediment at all and cleaning would not be necessary :)

I was more curious as to why this information is not practiced or known by many people online. Some of my conversation is probably best kept private, but he did explain the wide range of contractors and companies that install water heaters who are not actual plumbers.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
None of it makes any sense. Sediment traps that are incorporated into the appliance obviously will be "after " the
flex line. And what about that long list of exempted appliances? How is it they do not need traps, but water
heaters do? The only "sediment" I've ever seen in a gas line is the flaking cheap black paint from the
"black iron pipe" that Lowe's sells.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks