Regularly removing unions - any issues? (irrigation PVB)

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeCO

Reaction score
When I installed my irrigation backflow preventer (1" FEBCO 765), I added unions to make it easy to replace/remove. I have seen that some people entirely remove the backflow preventer during the winter to prevent any freezing - if I do that, is there any concern that regularly removing / reattaching the unions once a year is going to cause the union connections to fail/leak? I like the idea of bringing it inside but wanted to get this group's opinions. In either case, I'll be blowing out/draining the entire system, but I know that some water can remain inside the PVB.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the material of the union, if you overtighten it, you can put a ridge on one of the mating surfaces that can make sealing the next time harder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks