Regular Maintenance for Fleck 5600SXT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mauser

Reaction score
I am relatively new to water softeners - just replaced a 13 year old Sears cabinet system that I inherited with a 64K Fleck 5600SXT.

The manual for the old Sears unit called for regular cleaning of the screen, nozzle and venturi (and provided an easy access cap to do this). I have not found any such requirements in the Fleck service manual.

Is there any regular maintenance needed or recommended for the Fleck valve?

Bannerman

Reaction score
If your well water has visible sediment, you would probably want a sediment filter prior to the softener.

Assuming your water does not contain iron or manganese, every few years, allow the salt level in the brine tank to become low to facilitate cleaning out debris that has accumulated. At that time, you could also remove, inspect and clean the injector screen as it has easy access, necessitating the removal of only two screws.

With iron bearing water, regeneration with an iron removal cleaner such as Iron-Out or similar would be necessary to dissolve and remove iron deposits which accumulate on the resin beads and valve internals including the injector. The frequency for this manual cleaning process would vary depending on the level of iron reaching the softener.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
In good clean water, maintenance can be as simple as waiting for the system to stop working 10-20 years later, rebuild, and go for another 1-20 years. It really is dependent on your water supply. Annual sanitizing is cheap and simple and a good practice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks