Refrigerator Water/Ice Maker Filter Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Super_19

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post this so if it’s wrong, I apologize.

Been renting a house for 4 yrs now. When we first moved in I tested the water dispenser but no water came out so I just figured it didn’t work. Didn’t think to check anything or gave it much thought. Since then we’ve been having our drinking water delivered by ReadyRefresh. The price has been going up almost every other month so decided to look at other options. Was paying close to $110 a month for around 8 of the 5 gallon water bottles. Price includes the cooler rental and delivery fee.

Went back to the fridge to check it out again. Turns out that all this time the water valve behind the fridge that the water line hooks up to was off all this time. I feel so stupid.

I turned it out and noticed it was leaking a bit at the fridge connection. It was a bit loose so I tightened it good. Tested again and no leak.

So after all that, now that I know it works, I’m going to buy the water filter for it and start using it. But before we do that, since it hasn’t been used in 4+ years, is there a flushing procedure I should be doing before we can begin using it? Or is it just a matter of installing the new filter and begin using it?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Flush the line if possible before installing the new filter and then run the water until a gallon of so is flushed out

Super_19

Reaction score
Flush the line if possible before installing the new filter and then run the water until a gallon of so is flushed out

Thanks for the feedback. Don’t mean to sound dumb but when you say flush the line before installing the new filter, you mean just turn on the water valve with the other end that connects to the fridge removed and let some water come out? Then install the filter and let a gallon of water come out from the fridge water dispenser?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Don’t mean to sound dumb but when you say flush the line before installing the new filter, you mean just turn on the water valve with the other end that connects to the fridge removed and let some water come out? Then install the filter and let a gallon of water come out from the fridge water dispenser?

The reason I suggested flushing the lines as to remove any scale or sediment or other impurities before installing a new filter

Also once you install a new filter it should be flushed as many contain carbon as a filter and it will discolor the water when first being used

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks