Raising Drain Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Tjoumas

Reaction score
Hi,

We recently had a fire in our house and are finally back in and finishing up a few leftover things we didn't have the restoration company do. My wife had bought a vanity a number of months ago which has a large opening in the back where the drain pipe would go, but of course the drain pipe in my bathroom is set just below that so it hits right into the cross piece of wood that runs between each side. I could drill a hole to pass the pipe through, but the trap would extend below the shelf and I'd have to cut a hole in the shelf to allow for the trap to fit. Definitely not ideal...

I've attached a picture of the bathroom when it was down to studs and that drain pipe is about 16" from the floor. Could I redo the pipe right where it comes into the bathroom and have it go up about 4" or so using 45 degree elbows to get the rise just right? I would think that's not an issue, but not sure what might be required based on how it's vented.

Thanks!

Chris
Vanity Pipes.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, that won't work. The drop from the trap outlet to that san-tee in the side wall is limited to one pipe diameter. Otherwise the trap might siphon. So you can't have the trap arm drop down in that stud bay right behind the vanity.

You'd need to raise the san-tee in the side wall and redrill the corner studs. Easier to get a different vanity or modify your vanity.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you can raise the san tee and re drill the wood the corner 90 might be a challenge though. offsetting the trap arm then adding a aav Might be plausable neither option that fun. shear wall one stud not a structural guy but wouldnt be too worried

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut in a new san tee into the vertical. Remove a section of the stud on the partition wall to access the hidden spot. Install new pipe at desired height. Repair stud as needed.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Another option; Depending on the base cabinet design, the drain can go out the right side of it instead of the rear. Cut in a new san tee 90 degrees counter clock wise. Use Furnco's couplings or cement to make the connection on the vertical.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3 say raise the santee vs 1 says turn santee the three win LOL . its all preferance I still think you can offset trap arm and add a AAV easy but I dont like AAV but people seem to love them now a days

Chris Tjoumas

Reaction score
No, that won't work. The drop from the trap outlet to that san-tee in the side wall is limited to one pipe diameter. Otherwise the trap might siphon. So you can't have the trap arm drop down in that stud bay right behind the vanity.

You'd need to raise the san-tee in the side wall and redrill the corner studs. Easier to get a different vanity or modify your vanity.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It sounds like I will just modify the vanity ;) But, I did want to ask what you meant about the san-tee being limited to one pipe diameter... in the stud bay behind where the vanity will go, how is adding a 45 degree coupling changing the diameter? I would think it's just coupling it to extend it up and the same pipe diameter is still running through to the trap. I completely trust what you're saying, just trying to understand it. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It sounds like I will just modify the vanity ;) But, I did want to ask what you meant about the san-tee being limited to one pipe diameter... in the stud bay behind where the vanity will go, how is adding a 45 degree coupling changing the diameter? I would think it's just coupling it to extend it up and the same pipe diameter is still running through to the trap. I completely trust what you're saying, just trying to understand it. Thanks!
I believe Wayne was referring to the trap arm length.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It sounds like I will just modify the vanity ;) But, I did want to ask what you meant about the san-tee being limited to one pipe diameter...
What I said was the drop (fall in elevation) between the trap outlet and the san-tee is limited to one pipe diameter. So for a 1-1/2" trap, it is limited to 1-1/2" of fall. Which means you can't put in two 45s to get extra fall between a higher trap and the current san-tee.

Cheers, Wayne

Chris Tjoumas

Reaction score
I believe Wayne was referring to the trap arm length.

Just to be clear, I wasn't going to
What I said was the drop (fall in elevation) between the trap outlet and the san-tee is limited to one pipe diameter. So for a 1-1/2" trap, it is limited to 1-1/2" of fall. Which means you can't put in two 45s to get extra fall between a higher trap and the current san-tee.

Cheers, Wayne
Ok, makes sense - I was thinking of doing that, so glad I asked. My thought was doing what I have in this terribly annotated image. Sounds like that's a no no, so I'll just see if I can return this vanity or at least use it in another bathroom down the road and get something else to fit this bathroom.

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

• Vanity Pipes - Edited.jpg
    Vanity Pipes - Edited.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 63

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
actually you can throw a 45 on trap arm near the 90 only thing is you would need to revent it by a aav under sink . its a valid fix just a preferance thing and I guess 13 or 16 bucks for the fittiing is something to concider that could be a deal breaker vs drill hole in bottom of cabinet , or spend whatever time and energy material costs for the other plans I think youve got options pretty easy options . just up to you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks