Rainwater leaking into basement from drain pipe hole

Users who are viewing this thread

kay537

Reaction score
On a new house construction, we have rainwater coming into the basement where the sewer pipe exits the concrete wall to the septic system. The plumber said he had to jackhammer the hole that the excavator had put in to make it larger in order to get a bigger fitting in there. The PVC elbow is partially cemented into the wall. Should the elbow joint be partially hidden, as it appears to be, in the concrete wall? And does the bend in this drain line look too tight? We are wondering why it is leaking and if the plumbing has been done correctly or not.

Here are two images:
[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Connections are OK , it passed inspection and the elbow at the wall is a 45 degree to meet with the 45 degree at the wye. If the wye wasn't inside the wall, the pipe along the wall would be about 6-8" from the wall to make the turn. Is the water actually pouring water in or does it just gets wet? It shouldn't either way and the builder needs to take care of it. If it just getting wet or damp it probably will stop after a while.

I had a similar problem with a new home built in 1982 in Illinois. Rain water was pouring in between the sewer pipe and the 3/4" water city water supply line like an open garden hose. I chopped out the little cement between the two and use hydraulic cement to plug it up. Never had a problem after that. With new construction with a basement, dirt on the outside of the wall is loose and not yet compacted. It may take a few years to pack down and against the wall with a few freeze/thaw cycles. Illinois had very heavy clay soil and when the clay dried out it would pull away from the concrete wall. We get a good rain or thunder storm and the water would run straight down the wall and the sump pump sounded like a garden hose was running wide open. After a year or two the water entering into the sump pump turned into a trickle with most rain events. Also helped was when the lawn finally established itself and water was able to run off. I also had the same scenario with a new home in upstate NY.

kay537

Reaction score
Thanks, WorthFlorida. That is helpful. The water isn't pouring in, it is wet immediately below the pipe and is only dripping down.
I should also mention that where the pipe exits the house, it is under a deck, and therefore most likely it's not possible to compact the dirt down at this stage. The plumber is planning to dig it out by hand on the exterior (it's only about 1-2' from the edge of the deck) and fix it with hydraulic cement.

Mliu

Reaction score
What concerns me about those photos is the lack of any visible purple primer on those PVC joints. In fact, I can't even see any PVC cement where the pipes join up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks