Rain head plumbing through attic

Users who are viewing this thread

Bruce Claassen

Reaction score
I've searched and read several other threads on this topic, and have an idea that I want to run by the pros on this forum.
We live in Kansas where it can regularly get down in the single digits in winter. We are also currently remodeling our master bath and installing a larger shower with a rain head. I've plumbed in the new shower system entirely with PEX, but after reading some of the other threads, I think I need to re-do part of what I've done.
This is a shower system only, so no tub spout to drain the shower lines. I drilled a 2 1/2" hole in the top plate of the wall with the plumbing (interior wall) to run the rain head PEX line up into the attic. It immediately elbows over 20" from the wall to a drop-ear elbow is fastened via a brace between the trusses. I put pipe insulation on the run, so it fits pretty snuggly in the top plate hole. The pipe insulation covers the pipe all the way to the drop-ear elbow that the rain head stem will run in to.

After reading the other threads, I think I need to remove the pipe insulation from that line. I also thought about building a small box that would sit over the line, all the way from the drop ear elbow to the hole in wall top plate. If I seal the edges of this with expanding foam to eliminate drafts, it seems to me that the large hole in the top plate would help warm air come up in to that box cavity from the wall below.
If I cover that box with the existing loose fill cellulose, would that be enough to hopefully prevent this line from freezing?
I imagine the line will at least always have water in it up to the elbow at the top plate where the horizontal line runs off to the drop ear and rain head.

What do you think?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I run pipes in an attic space, I don't use pipe insulation, but I do cover the pipes like a blanket to trap warmth from the home, helping them to stay warmer.
I've been using fiberglass from a roll.

index.php

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your plan is sound. Especially insulate as Terry has shown to trap the heat from below in your box.

PEX can withstand freezing much better than copper tube. And since it is not a pressurized line, the freeze shouldn't damage the tubing. Moreso, a study that I've read indicates that only PEX tubing between fittings that are 7" and closer are really in danger of splitting. Your 20" is long enough to prevent this.. but again, not a pressurized line so the expansion of the ice won't have resistance if that were to happen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks