radiator won't heat up

Users who are viewing this thread

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
I removed my radiator (one pipe system) in the bathroom as I remodled it. When i put it back it no longer gets hot. Wondering what went wrong. Im aware that it should be pitched toward the pipe.. which it is. The pipe isn't warm at all... any ideas?? thanks so much

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You must have a vent on the end of the rad. It's one that vents to atmosphere and draws air when the steam pressure stops to allow condensate to drain back.........

fast pasquale

Reaction score
yes. It has a vent. I took it off and....um.. man it's been a while. I either soaked it in vinegar over nite... or i may have boiled it.. not sure... but i was given the advice to check the vent from a plumber friend of mine a few months ago. i reapplied pipe dope and put it back on. still doesn't work.

fast pasquale

Reaction score
umm... well ...uh... ok...Don't laugh.... The handle had broke off years ago.... but i was still able to manipulate the screw that was left there. I had opened (turned) the screw and assumed that this was opening the valve.. it wasn't. i took some slip joint pliers to the piece that the screw was attached to an opened it up.. THIS actually controlled the valve. The pipe got hot instantly and started to fill up the radiator.. AHHHH... nice warm bathroom when it's 2 degrees outside.. I know.. I know... Hey.. I refinish hardwood floors for a living... Plumbing is something i do to save $....hehe...

fast pasquale

Reaction score
now i have a small leak... i was using pipe dope (teflon paste).. is this good enough.. I know some use rector seal.. what would you guys recommend?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks