Quick disconnect for dual 40A, 220V Tankless system.

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckB

Reaction score
Since the tankless water heater is in a different room away/out of sight from the main breaker panel, I need to install a quick disconnect next to the tankless water heater. Do I need to break all four 110V connections or just one each on both 220 volt circuits? Thanks in advance.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Yes have kill all four. Never seen a tankless needing 40 amps with four circuits. Rotary switch might be the easiest. 4 pole 40 amp switch in a enclosure.

ChuckB

Reaction score
Yes have kill all four. Never seen a tankless needing 40 amps with four circuits. Rotary switch might be the easiest. 4 pole 40 amp switch in a enclosure.

Thanks, I have searched all over and cannot find a four pole disconnect. That is why I was thinking only a two pole quick disconnect was needed. Does anyone have a model number for a 4 pole quick disconnect that will work?

RHEEM.jpg

ChuckB

Reaction score

It's across the pond couldn't find one a decent price here. It's 60 amp since code wants 20% over amps.
Thanks again.

I researched the electrical code. I misunderstood the requirement of a quick disconnect. I assumed it was to turn off the tankless heater in case of an emergency. The real purpose of a quick disconnect being right next to the tankless heater is to make sure that a technician working on the water heater does not have to worry about being shocked by someone else turning the electricity back on at the main breaker panel. A simple solution to satisfy the code requirements is to make the main breaker panel lockable. A much easier solution for sure!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks