Questions about Navien NPE-240A recirculation

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by srshaw, Nov 8, 2019.

1. srshaw

srshaw New Member

We have a Navien NPE-240A that was installed 4 years ago. We have an external recirculation loop connected, but just recently turned it on (I was worried about burning out the pump and higher energy usage, so kept it off at first). It works great. So nice to have hot water at the shower instantly.

So my questions are these:
    1. Our system seems to recirculate every 15 minutes. Is that standard? The only parameter I have found that affects external recirculation is on-demand pipe target length (P16), but it's not clear what changing that parameter does. Does anyone know? Any other parameters to set?
    2. I am trying to decide between using Intelligent Preheating and setting up a timer through Remote Control. Any thoughts on which is better? Does the system learn well enough to not have recirc running while we are asleep or hot water is otherwise not in use?
    3. If I wanted to use Navilink, my understanding is that I would have to buy both the conversion kit for main PCB and front panel since my unit was made before 03/16, as well as the Navilink Wi-Fi Control (part number PBCM-AS-001). Is that correct? If so, seems like an expensive implementation.
    4. Any feedback on using the hard-wired NR-20DU remote controller?
    Thanks.