Question on wye strainer before smart shutoff device

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
I'm wanting to install a smart shutoff by Moen called Flo by Moen. It detects any abnormal water activity and has an electronic shutoff on it. If it sees water running unexpectedly too long it will turn the water off from the point of the device.

I want to install this device before my softener and two sediment filters. I was told it will learn my softener regeneration times and wont shut the water off during regeneration. But my question to them was will sediment harm their device which they said yes. They recommended a wye strainer with 100 mesh screen at minimum if I wanted to put the flo by Moen before my filters. I was going to place a pressure gauge after so I can see when it gets gunked up. My question is with well water is a wye strainer going to need constant cleaning? Does anyone have any experience with Wye strainers on well water and if this will work or cause me headaches.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Use a Hydra instead, much better.
That product looks great but I didn't want to have anything infront of the smart shutoff.

I don't mind cleaning the wye strainer if it works and doesn't get clogged up right away. Do you know if a wye strainer with a 100 mesh screen will hold up for at least 2-3 months. I know you can't say cause you have no idea how much sediment I have but I maybe on average do you know. I just don't want this to be a weekly thing of having to clean the screen.

I would install and test and find out but this smart shutoff costs 500 so trying to figure out if it makes sense with the configuration before buying.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't mind cleaning the wye strainer if it works and doesn't get clogged up right away. Do you know if a wye strainer with a 100 mesh screen will hold up for at least 2-3 months. I know you can't say cause you have no idea how much sediment I have but I maybe on average do you know.
Have you tried flushing your pressure tank? Watch the first water out of that to get a clue what your wye filter will be dealing with.

My guess is your wye filter will not fill up, but some well pumps pump a cup of sand a day. Unusual. Yours is unlikely to be one of those. But a teaspoon a day would probably fill your wye filter pretty fast.

I would guess a wye filter on my well might go a year, but maybe not.

I would expect a 1 inch wye filter to go longer than a 3/4 inch wye filter. https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=wye filter

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why put the smart shutoff before the filters? Is the risk of a leak in the filters so high it's worth the extra trouble?

Cheers, Wayne

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Have you tried flushing your pressure tank? Watch the first water out of that to get a clue what your wye filter will be dealing with.

My guess is your wye filter will not fill up, but some well pumps pump a cup of sand a day. Unusual. Yours is unlikely to be one of those. But a teaspoon a day would probably fill your wye filter pretty fast.

I would guess a wye filter on my well might go a year, but maybe not.

I would expect a 1 inch wye filter to go longer than a 3/4 inch wye filter. https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=wye filter
I have taken water from where the tank is and it was clear. I also have a spindown filter for my sprinkler system and after a couple of months the screen still looks clean.

I'll take that as a good sign. Thank you.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Why put the smart shutoff before the filters? Is the risk of a leak in the filters so high it's worth the extra trouble?

Cheers, Wayne
Good question. I figured if I was going to install the smart shutoff that I might as well have it cover everything.

Reach4

Reaction score
Good question. I figured if I was going to install the smart shutoff that I might as well have it cover everything.
I would think that a bronze or brass wye filter would be particularly rugged against leaks, as compared to a plastic cartridge filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks