question about home radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

donk

Reaction score
Hi - is there any way to (easily) disassemble a big, heavy, iron home hot water radiator so it can be taken outta the house without breaking my back? It's the old kind with a series of "coils" that appear to be welded together? Or are they welded?
Thanks,
Donk

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
radiator

A "true" cast iron radiator is held together with long bolts. Once they are removed the sections separate by driving a wedge between them. (although if it is a REALLY old 3 column steam radiator it could be assembled with left/right nipples and in that case you have to break it up with a sledge hammer.) If it is a steel pipe coil for a convector, then it is one piece and has to be cut into pieces.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
If the plan is to junk it then u can try and disassemble it by undoing the bolts. Might also smash with a big sledge like the cast iron tubs do. If you go that route don't forget eyeware.

If the plan is to reuse it I would not recommend disassembling it, you may end up with leaks on the reassembled one. Also keep in mind these fetch $$$, more so if they are decorative and not just the plain ones.

Try posting on craigslist as salvage metal or for reuse for someone redoing an old house. They will prob come get it and haul for Free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks