Quality Shower Valve Socket Set

Users who are viewing this thread

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got some older properties I maintain and recently ran into an issue where the shower socket valve set I have just barely doesn't seem to fit the packing nut. The packing nut size in question seems to be 1" 5/32nds, but possibly its an oddball size of 1" 3/16ths? I didn't have a deep socket in that size to check.

I believe this may be because the flat sides of the valve sockets on the stamped metal sets I have seem to concave inwards a bit. All the valve socket sets I've seen at local hardware stores seem to do this.

In scouring the internet to try and find something different, I was looking on grainger/zoro and saw two different sets.

A house brand made in india that looks like it *may* not have this concave issue from the photo's:

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Socket-Set-5-Piece-with-Zinc-34A498

And then a superior tool brand that is made in the USA, but the photo looks like every other stamped set I see and seems to have that same concave issue:

https://www.grainger.com/product/SUPERIOR-TOOL-Socket-Set-5-Piece-with-Nickel-1LNX5

Curious if there is another brand that you guys use, or if the stamped metal ones always seem to fit and its more likely I have a oddball size packing nut?

Thanks in advance

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The superior tool set is labeled as made in china. Looks like the same shiny metal version I have in my kit.

These are honestly not precision tools ever so just a different manufacture may have a slightly different tolerance.

I've had custom sockets built for a sinlge job. maybe one of these could be sliced, expanded or contracted and rewelded with a simple weld. (taking precaution against galvanization fumes of course)

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
Thanks Tuttles.

I didn't even look at the page details to see country of origin, I just zoomed in on the picture to see if it had the same concave thing going on and saw "made in USA" stamped on the pieces.

I may modify one as you suggested or just go get a 1-3/16" deep socket and see if I can use that instead.

Glad to hear that someone else has seen an oddball size outside of the normal set one can purchase.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gah.. just took another look at the Indian made ones. Looking at the 360 view, they're even oddball lenths!! I'm betting that just the difference in slop in manufactures tolerances would be the difference you need

Deathtofishy

Reaction score
Just an update on this for anyone who may stumble upon the same issue. I'm lucky to have the Grainger warehouse locally, which makes returns simple, so I ordered both to see if either would work.

The generic "grainger approved" sockets were great and didn't exhibit the concave aspect on the flat ends like the various other stamped steel. They were a perfect fit, and felt nicer than the superior and other brands I've seen/tried.

Also didn't have the oddball lengths in the 360 view, and had some decent laser etched size markings that are a nice touch. Time will tell if the markings wear out, but for now I am quite happy with them.

IMG_2864.jpg
IMG_2865.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes you're only as good as the tools you bring to a job.