PVC Fittings at Well Head Keep Breaking

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnFromOKC

Reaction score
I've had to dig up my well head multiple times to repair leaks. I thought I did a good job each time, but within a year, it leaks again, always a PVC fitting, either a threaded fitting (schedule 80) other times a 90 degree elbow.

Cut in pressure 42 psig, cut out 62 psig.

This last time, I called the well service company to come out and fix it. They said my old air pressure tank might be causing it due to water hammer, and recommended replacing it with a new bladder tank - so I had them replace the tank, fix the leak, and all was well until the year passed and the leak came back yet again.

Something is going on here causing the cracks in these fittings that I cannot figure out. Any ideas? Soil settling? Water hammer?

The pic below is of a previous repair that sprung a leak - it's always a hairline crack that squirts water underground until it saturates the soil long enough to surface.

I'm considering changing out the PVC and installing PEX. Maybe the PEX will last and not leak because I will only need one fitting at the well head?

I'm at wits end with this endless leak. What say you Pro's?

12240876_10205652034569321_6808628905881038743_o.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have a spigot before the pressure tank place a tattle-tale pressure gauge on it. Turn the needle counter clockwise to rest again the pressure needle. The tattle tail needle will be pushed up to the highest pressure reading reading. With that heavy clay soil, could the frost line get below these fitting and with freeze thaw cycles the ground is pushing against it all eventually weaken it?
winters-instruments-pressure-test-gauges-petm213lf-64_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winters...Pointer-and-0-160-psi-kPa-PETM213LF/305046977

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a check valve at the pressure tank, consider getting that removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks