Pump Control Relay

Users who are viewing this thread

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I think "home automation" is one search term you could try. One thing that kind of bothers me with this sort of thing is the connecting of outdoor wiring to a computer. What happens with a lightning strike?

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You fry the computer card. The same as if it hits your network. Yes more can happen but that’s the normal.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Of course, the computer isn't as pricey a resource as it used to be, but I'll still shut one off if there's lightning in the vicinity. Given the reasonable cost of standalone controllers, I'm not sure how a PC is superior. I chalk up a lot of the home automation interest to the "Because it's there." mindset. Which is okay by me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A direct lightning strike will smoke nearly anything. If you want to protect from near misses, use a high capacity surge suppressor. For the relay cards, consider opto-isolators.

garcanser

Reaction score
Bob
More dumb questions about relays spec. Are all relays designed to operate in both VAC and VDC for the coil and the contact voltage? For the 220V pump, I believe the startup surge current can be almost 30A. I presume, I have to select one that is rated for 30A and 240 V? Thanks

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
garcanser said:
Bob
More dumb questions about relays spec. Are all relays designed to operate in both VAC and VDC for the coil and the contact voltage? For the 220V pump, I believe the startup surge current can be almost 30A. I presume, I have to select one that is rated for 30A and 240 V? Thanks
The coil is usually designed for AC or DC. That is not to say that a DC coil won't work on AC, or vice versa, but I can't tell you what the result would be. A 24 VDC coil might not work on 24 VAC, and a 24 VAC coil would probably overheat and might burn up on 24 VDC. That is because the coil has higher impedance (not just resistance) at 60 Hz than it does at DC. Most big suppliers (Grainger for example) sell relays with AC rated coils and relays with DC rated coils.

You must separate coil ratings and contact ratings. For starting a motor, pick a relay or contactor (a contactor is just a bigger relay, usually open frame) that is horsepower rated (that will be the contacts) at particular voltages.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks