Proper technique for setting a tub in mortar?

Users who are viewing this thread

NTM

Reaction score
I am setting an alcove tub (60x32) in a bed of mortar but I want to know the specific technique I should apply. My tub has 4 supporting feet but the manufacturer specifies that mortar is also needed.

During my reading on this site, I read that Terry suggested to put piles of mortar down to allow for spreading. How many piles should I put down and what should the height and diameter approximately be for these piles?

When I place the tub in the mortar, should I step in the tub to squish the mortar into place? I have read that moving the tub too much is bad, but I think I need to move it a little to lower it into position.

Also, should I place weight in the tub as the mortar cures? And should I drill the skirt into the studs after the mortar cures, or right away?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The amount of mortar is something we develop over many tries and all based on how well it can be packed.
Ideally, we have access from the long side and can ram in portion.
The skirt is not what gets fastened. The edge flange on the tub upper rim is what gets drilled, then fastened to studs. Should not matter when you drill.
Yes, you have to get in to squish the mortar, but it should only be a small amount of travel, as your piles should not be high at all.
NO extra weight needed during setting, as long as the legs are on the floor.

Reactions: NTM

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, you have to get in to squish the mortar, but it should only be a small amount of travel, as your piles should not be high at all.
I had pictured maybe using roughly balls of mortar with a diameter, about half of the gap. I figured that would make for easy-enough squishing. Do you think lumps of mortar that would be larger than ideal?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks