Problem with 2 year old Rheem electric 40 hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim427

Reaction score
My hot water heater is slightly less than 2 years old. 40 gallon, electric by Rheem.

Tried to replace the anode rod to. 1. Extend the life of the heater and 2. Install a different anode due to a sulfer/rotten egg smell.

Dug out the spray foam on the top under a grommet. Moved a green wire that was over the head of the bolt for the anode rod. Put a el cheapo half inch impact wrench on the head and it didn't budge. put a new Ingersoll Rand 231 Impact wrench on it and stripped the head of the bolt. The bolt didn't have much to hold onto in the first place.
Got a 1/2 inch easy out. Drilled the bolt. PUT the easy out in the hole. Impact, pipe wrench, pipe on the pipe wrench......nothing moves the bolt. Looks like I have a boat anchor now.

Why on Earth do they make these anodes so hard to replace?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have the right welder, could you weld a 7/16 bolt into the hole you drilled in the anode?
Why on Earth do they make these anodes so hard to replace?
Good question. I was wondering how much that removal torque was there from the beginning and how much developed with time. If they actually wanted these things swapped out, you would think they would use a more reasonable torque.

I replace the anode on my 12 year old WH that came with my house. I bought and broke a 1/2 HF air impact wrench. I took it and sockets back and bought a 3/4. That strained for a while, but the old anode did come out. Anode was all eaten. Replaced with a Ceranode anode with long electrode. I tightened to what I estimate to be 10 or 15 ft-lb. I used PTFE tape. While an electrical connection is needed, the threads cut right thru the tape making good electrical contact. I watched for a leak, and none has developed. I minimized the torque figuring to move the anode to a new WH some day.

I was not dealing with a recessed or shallow anode. Sounds like they are doubling down on making them harder to swap. Maybe they went to the same business school as the cellphone battery designers . ;-)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks