Pressure tank weight question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a question about the the weight of my expansion tank.

Here is a photo of my current well set up:

I have circled the pipe work for my geothermal (red circle) They hooked it to the water softener. I have a plumber who is coming over and moving geothermal piping to the main line coming inside my house (circled in yellow). my question is, is the 'U' shaped copper lines already maxxed out for weight? With the new piping installed with a reducing tee, and the weight of the pipes for the geothermal I feel like their is too much weight on those pipes? Can anyone confirm this?

My other option I can see is get a 14 gallon expansion tank and put it on the ground and run some piping up to the cross connector?

The other reason I have the jacks on the picture is for supporting that pipe when it gets cut to install a reducing tee.

The pipe coming out of the wall is 1 1/2" piping if that makes any difference for the weight of the expansion tank, and the new piping thats about to get soldered onto it.

expansion 2.jpg
expansion 3.jpg

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Reaction score
Please let me know if you want to see larger images.

I also am kind've interested in changing those galvanized pipes to some brass fittings? I hear galvanized pipe near well pressure switch can cause problems! Do you think they used galvanized to help support the weight of that heaving expansion tank?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Make a support leg out of 3 or 4 inch PVC or ABS and notch it out for the Tee and the copper line below it.

I would rather use brass than galv.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 4.5 gallon size pressure tank only holds about 1 gallons of water. 8.3 pounds per gallon plus the weight of the tank is only about 15-20 pounds at most. What you have to prepare for is when the tank gets waterlogged. When a pressure transducer on a VFD system fails the pressure can spike the way it does at 41 seconds in the following video. Then the bladder in the tank is busted, the tank is waterlogged, and the 4.5 gallon size tank can weigh as much as a 50 pound sack of concrete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks