Pressure tank sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom O’Connor

Reaction score
I’m needing some advice on how to properly size my well pressure tank. What Information I know is I was told I have a 2 hp 240volt submersed well pump that I know produces 15 gallons a minute. Because of available space I have in this hunting cabin I was planning On using the water works 32 gallon pressure tank(HT32B) . But doing some more research I’m beginning to worry that my interior plumbing may not be adequate at 1/2 diameter PEX which I’ve just started running throughout? Because it’s only one bath and so small I was going to run everything on its own line from a 3/4 manifold. Also what size pressure switch would you recommend ? I’m obviously trying to gain as much pressure as possible for things like my shower and laundry fill . thanks in advance

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m needing some advice on how to properly size my well pressure tank. What Information I know is I was told I have a 2 hp 240volt submersed well pump that I know produces 15 gallons a minute. Because of available space I have in this hunting cabin I was planning On using the water works 32 gallon pressure tank(HT32B) . But doing some more research I’m beginning to worry that my interior plumbing may not be adequate at 1/2 diameter PEX which I’ve just started running throughout? Because it’s only one bath and so small I was going to run everything on its own line from a 3/4 manifold. Also what size pressure switch would you recommend ? I’m obviously trying to gain as much pressure as possible for things like my shower and laundry fill . thanks in advance
A 7 gpm pump is more appropriate to a hunting cabin. With a 15 gallon pump, you could go to a 62 gallon pressure tank, or you could use a CSV. You can get that as part of a kit. https://cyclestopvalves.com/ Before committing to that, if your water is too high, your pump may be too high on HP also. You would want the pump to only be able to deliver maybe 160 or less psi when the flow is low. Any idea how far down the water is?

You should be fine after your manifolds to use 3/4. Do use 3/4 to the WH and to the manifolds.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah a 32 gallon tank only holds about 8 gallons of water. That is not half big enough for a 15 GPM pump. But it is twice as large as needed when used with a CSV. The PK1A with the 10 gallon tank would be better, and take up much less space. But like Reach said, we need to know for sure your 2HP pump is the 15 GPM series and about how deep it is to water in the well.

Tom O’Connor

Reaction score
A 7 gpm pump is more appropriate to a hunting cabin. With a 15 gallon pump, you could go to a 62 gallon pressure tank, or you could use a CSV. You can get that as part of a kit. https://cyclestopvalves.com/ Before committing to that, if your water is too high, your pump may be too high on HP also. You would want the pump to only be able to deliver maybe 160 or less psi when the flow is low. Any idea how far down the water is?

You should be fine after your manifolds to use 3/4. Do use 3/4 to the WH and to the manifolds.
Thanks ! Unfortunately I dont know How deep the well is or the pump depth I could pull it up and check If i have to. Also I currently Have 1/2” PEX for everything past the manifold do you think that is that still ok ? Thanks for the 160psi tip I’ll check it and pressure regulate it at the WH before sending it down to the cabin and Into The manifold
Yeah a 32 gallon tank only holds about 8 gallons of water. That is not half big enough for a 15 GPM pump. But it is twice as large as needed when used with a CSV. The PK1A with the 10 gallon tank would be better, and take up much less space. But like Reach said, we need to know for sure your 2HP pump is the 15 GPM series and about how deep it is to water in the well.

Thanks to both of you, I’ve reached out to the previous owner so he can tell me the depth of the well and the exact pump installed I’m heading there this weekend and I’ll also verify it’s GPM’s thanks again !!

Reach4

Reaction score
Also I currently Have 1/2” PEX for everything past the manifold do you think that is that still ok ?
Yes.

Thanks for the 160psi tip I’ll check it and pressure regulate it at the WH before sending it down to the cabin and Into The manifold
Whoa. I was talking about from the pump into the CSV if you used one. So the only way you see 160 into the CSV is if you have a poorly selected pump for your well. Whether or not you use a CSV, the pressure your manifolds and water heater and everything else sees is determined by the pressure switch, and potentially the pressure relief valve if you have one and the pressure switch fails.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks