Pressure Switch Chattering only at startup

Users who are viewing this thread

mmcfi

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently replaced my residential well pressure switch and it appears to be functioning properly except for when it reaches the low pressure side and starts. When it starts the contacts chatter before engaging fully and remaining on for the cycle. The cutoff and on ranges are normal and there is plenty of pressure. As far as i can tell my bladder tank is holding at 38 PSI ( switch cycles about 42-68 PSI). I am trying to add a 10 second clip to show whats happening. Is this going to damage my pump or system? Any trouble shooting ideas or should I just buy another pressure switch?
Thanks
Mark
video clip:

Reach4

Reaction score
You probably have too much separation between the input of the pressure tank and the tee under the pressure switch.

Shorter distance and/or bigger diameter should cure this.

How about a photo that includes the input to the pressure tank and the pressure switch, and the path between

mmcfi

Reaction score
You probably have too much separation between the input of the pressure tank and the tee under the pressure switch.

Shorter distance and/or bigger diameter should cure this.

How about a photo that includes the input to the pressure tank and the pressure switch, and the path between

Thanks for the reply!
I made no other changes to the system outside of the new switch. It has the same settings as the previous one and cycles similar as before. First time owning a well so I appreciate the assistance.

I hope this is what you were asking for?
IMG_4225.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg
IMG_4227.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep, that's it. Too much pipe restriction . Ideally you will move the pressure switch down to the input of the pressure tank. You could potentially leave the old one where it is, and use a new switch.. But plugging the place where the current pressure switch is would be the better-looking way.

It looks like your wire will reach no problem.

Outdoor PVC should be protected from the sunlight. Latex paint works for that, but there are other alternatives.

mmcfi

Reaction score
Sorry, but i am a little confused. To make sure we are talking about the same thing, Your saying that the SquareD electirc switch has to be moved to where the pipe goes into my white pressure tank?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The sensing line for the pressure switch is too far from the pressure tank(s). However, I would guess the chattering is caused by a bad pressure tank or two. There is also a plastic check valve on the inlet to the large tank, which should not be there.\

If the tanks are bad, time to update to a Cycle Stop Valve system. You can replace both those huge tanks with one of these PK1A kits.

pk1a-md.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, but i am a little confused. To make sure we are talking about the same thing, Your saying that the SquareD electirc switch has to be moved to where the pipe goes into my white pressure tank?
Yes. That would be ideal.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

Moving the pressure switch to the tank might be easiest. But really just the little black sensing line from the pressure switch could be extended and plumbed in close to the tank.

I really think the tanks are bad. So installing a PK1A right after the back pressure valve would get the little tank and switch close together.

mmcfi

Reaction score
Yes. That would be ideal.
Ok, I heard you say move the electric switch to a water line and that cant be what you meant literally. I am thinking you are talking about moving the Blue metal housing coming out of the pump with the pressure gauge dial on it down to the ground where the pipe enters the smaller white tank. Which would then need a longer "sensing line" from that blue housing to the Electric pressure switch or alternatively rewiring and moving the electric switch closer to the tank and relocated housing as well? Is that correct or am I lost in the trees?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No you gotta leave the blue back pressure valve with the pressure gauge right where it is. Only the pressure switch or the sensing tube coming from the pressure switch need to be plumbed to a tee close to the tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The problem could be caused by an internal constriction of the pipe between the pump and the tank due to iron or other mineral buildup. There could also be water hammer on pump start.

Reach4

Reaction score
Only the pressure switch or the sensing tube coming from the pressure switch need to be plumbed to a tee close to the tank.

Oooh. I did not see the little blue sensing tube. That offers an alternative.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Assuming the two Red wires supply power to the pump, what are the two White wires connected to the same terminals supplying power to?

First time owning a well
I see a Black tube into what appears to be the inlet to the large fibreglass tank. Is that Black tube being utilized to supply chlorine, thereby using the fibreglass tank as a contact tank? If sufficient chlorine is not constant in the tank, I suspect there will be ample sunlight penetrating the tank's translucent walls to result in algae growth inside which may be why the tank appears with an unusual dark green color.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks