Premade CSST fitting to round corner between iron

Users who are viewing this thread

L squad

Reaction score
I have 2 runs of black iron pipe. One from the meter (old), and one that I ran back in a crawlspace from a stove. (New)
My plan was to get them close and use a union where they met. Got it all doped up and needed 1 more fitting to be finished.
Problem is.... the pipe rounds a corner at an angle of about 22 degrees and I cannot find a 1/2"- 22.5* coupling. I searched for hours.
Question... Can I terminate both runs short of one another in a flare fitting and use a 36" csst pre-made stove connection to round the corner and get the two together.?

It will be exposed

The old side is grounded, and there happens to be a grounding rod in the dirt of the crawlspace, so I can get the other (new) side grounded too if that is the only concern.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Um maybe but why? Generally mixing fitting types isn't recommended. I think a vertical section somewhere would give you about any angle you want.

Swing joint my nozzle.

L squad

Reaction score
I've researched the swing joint. And it seems like a good fix. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why, but I thought that would be some sort of jerry-rig to have a bunch of fittings like that and I discounted it immediately.
I think a couple of St 90's will get me the angle I need.
I really appreciate the actual responses.
Many times you get the "hire a plumber" answer in these forums and it drives me up the wall.
I'm plenty capable and I am passionate about doing things right.
Thanks again

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've researched the swing joint. And it seems like a good fix. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why, but I thought that would be some sort of jerry-rig to have a bunch of fittings like that and I discounted it immediately.
I think a couple of St 90's will get me the angle I need.
I really appreciate the actual responses.
Many times you get the "hire a plumber" answer in these forums and it drives me up the wall.
I'm plenty capable and I am passionate about doing things right.
Thanks again
Generally routing is the very first thing planned. I can spend more time routing and figuring out how to most elegantly layout the piping with weird angles gracefully worked out to every detail. Then the piping is easy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sometimes a swing joint is practical sometimes not. an appliance connector would be a poor choice. Id avoid the CSST piping thats for permanant install as well . Perhaps a good application of a swing joint is the way to go as mentioned

L squad

Reaction score
The routing in this case was a bit difficult. I was in a crawlspace that was 4 inches from bottom of joist to soil. I had to premake a 10' pipe with an elbow and 10" riser. . I sent the pipe into the space and turned it upwards through a hole I drilled in the floor. Cut another hole to get a drill in the to secure it to the joist.
Almost inaccessible. So after the pipe was secured, I had to find a way back to the main supply. Building from the supply to the stove wasn't an option. Perhaps I could have just ruin csst all the way there, but you gotta terminate in iron through the floor at the stove.
And here we are.. .
Thanks again for the suggestions