Practical advice needed re: freezing crawl space plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillycat

Reaction score
I’ve got an old(150) Philadelphia row. 3 stories, full height basement with a “weekend shack” one story attached. Unheated. The addition has a crawl space underneath. The one story shack has a full bath installed, I really only use the tub for dog washing. But I do use the toilet. Bought the house 5 years ago, and redid all systems. Complete rehab. Except the bathroom in the addition, which I redid with pex supply. The copper had all burst from a freeze up. We knew this going in, and I’ve simply shut down the bathroom during winter, drained the lines and antifreeze in the toilet and bathtub p trap. I’d like to be able to use it all 4 seasons. I do have available radiator piping (pex al pex) and a radiator available (it wasn’t in there, I acquired it recently). The piping enters from the main basement through a penetration in the stone foundation, as seen in the picture. there’s a steady stream of air coming in from that crawl space. I haven’t sealed it up because I thought maybe it was good to have some air flow, but I’m reading that maybe I should seal it up. There’s no outside vents. When I opened up the floor to replace the busted copper, there was old degraded insulation, and a dirt floor. I just said, I have other stuff to deal with, and plywood, wet bed and tiled it back in.(the whole floor is a wet bed and tile over Plywood). Oh and the white parging you see is old school lime putty and sand. I’m doing the whole basement. Dry basement, never gets water.

My question is, should I just put in the radiator? Or should I simply get a baseboard electric and heat the space to 55 degrees or so? Will that prevent p trap and water supply freezing? should I seal the penetration into my main basement?

D1CF8727-949A-4DD8-B71D-8A56914EC75D.jpeg
021FB294-0F6C-4A5C-9EB7-FDFA198C2BF1.jpeg
C2F37B72-7C9E-47ED-AEA2-42C4B9ECB5DE.jpeg
E1E33018-FA0E-44C1-AEE5-F02767A76EEA.jpeg
0D5FC859-299B-4507-8EDD-63B8EE63522E.jpeg

Last edited:

Phillycat

Reaction score
Giving a bump. I know terry has said he's never seen a crawl space freeze, but since this room is otherwise separated from the building envelope, I just don't know.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might start with a thermometer with an RF outdoor sensor mentoring the temperature minimum down there for a while. Also consider some xpf insulation inside the foundation walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks