Point Well Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

smanner

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a point well. I drilled 21 feet down with a point well driller, and pounded another 5 feet. I assembled all of the pipe above ground with exception to the last 5 feet. I currently have 9 feet of water in the well and I am unable to fill the pipe with water which I am told means that the point is not clogged and also that I am in good soil. Here is where it gets weird. I installed the pump and attempted to prime the well and pump. I have tried all methods of priming the pump. no matter what I try the pump will not pull water from the well. I thought perhaps the pipe was cracked or broken so I fed a piece of 1 inch poly down to within 1 foot of the bottom of the point and hooked that directly to the pump, same issue.

There is a check valve on the top of the well and I have tried a hand pump. when I remove either the hand pump or the check valve I hear a sucking sound. I am out of ideas any help would be appreciated

23' of 1.25" Galvanized pipe
3' Point also galvanized
Red Lion 1hp jet pump

Speedbump

Reaction score
So your saying it's 11feet to water? Right? Try a Pitcher Pump. If the handle pushes down real hard and wants to spring back up, there is no water there.

What puzzles me is the fact that you can't fill the pipe up. That is usually a good sign.

Give me more info about what your doing.

bob...

smanner

Reaction score
I am 16 feet to the water. 26 Foot well 10 feet of water in the well. Tried pitcher pump with no result. it also created a vaccuum in the well

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the Pitcher Pump created a vacuum and sprung back like it was spring loaded, there is no water to be pumped. The level is fine if there were water there. If your well is taking water and has this same water level all the time, I would have to think your pipe is broken in the vein somewhere and the screen is not in the vein.

bob...

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
How are you priming the pump?
Do you have a check valve on the suction side of the pump? Did you wrap all pipe joints clockwise well with teflon tape before assembly and tightening ? (Answers should be "yes".)
If your pump isn't sucking an air leak somewhere, here is how I've always primed shallow well pumps:
Need: a one-gallon jug of drinking water, teflon tape and a wrench large enough to handle the 3/4" plug on top of the pump head.
A. Unplug pump (or turn off switch).
B. Wrap 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only on the 3/4" plug as the threaded end faces you.
C. Fill the pump, plug it in/turn it on and quickly began hand-tightening the plug. It will spew and sputter water and air, but that's what it is supposed to be doing.
D. If the pump begins to pick up prime and pressure (you can tell by listening to it and watching the pressure gauge), then tighten the 3/4" plug all the way and let it run until it does its normal cut-off and you're done.
If it doesn't pickup prime, repeat all of the steps above, including re-taping.
If after several attempts, I think that you MAY need to pull it back out and re-do the joint couplings with new tape.
Good Luck!
Mike
For great information on wells and pumps:
www.IrrigationTutorials.com

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks