Plumbing Distance

Users who are viewing this thread

jamz

Reaction score
Im having a new house built. I asked for the builder to rough-in plumbing in the basement for a bath. That portion is complete. The rest of the unfinished basement Is still under design. I will be adding a Bar/Cafe on the same wall as the bathroom plumbing (to the left). I have adding a photo of a current design

http://home.comcast.net/~swingjamz/Cafe.jpg

I want to add the sink that is shown in the cafe. The distance seems to about 9'-8" from the bath sink waste. Can I tie into this or is the distance to great? I'll also accept some professional recomendations as well.

Thanks for you time!

JamZ (Chicago,IL)

jamz

Reaction score
Does the 1/8" horizontal pitch for every Foot apply? To revent the cafe sink, I would need to vent up vertically from the sink then 90' horizontally to the existing bathroom sink vent? How high vertically would i need go?

Could i use an AAV instead of reventing? Although I have no problems reventing this. I just thought I'd ask

Thanks for the help on this

JamZ (Chicago,IL)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Does the 1/8" horizontal pitch for every Foot apply?

It is 1/4" per foot.

To revent the cafe sink, I would need to vent up vertically from the sink then 90' horizontally to the existing bathroom sink vent? How high vertically would i need go?

42" above the floor.

Could i use an AAV instead of reventing? Although I have no problems reventing this. I just thought I'd ask

I doubt that Chicago would allow AAV's.

The problem is seldom what you can do, but rather how you do it.

jamz

Reaction score
I'm so getting into this. :)

Ok so, Can I connect the cafe sink and the bath sink on the same run? Here is a diagram................

http://home.comcast.net/~swingjamz/layout.jpg

If so, what connection do I use for "A" and "B" ? (remember that the run is not "true" horizontal as I have to pitch 1/4" per foot)

BTW: the revent height is 42" AFF per HJ's recommendation

Thanks....you guys are makin this fun for me to learn.

JAmZ (Chicago,IL)

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You cant run your waste to that sink as per your drawing you have to tye
in to vertical stack past the vanity,you loose your venting to vanity piped
that way.Your revent is OK.

jamz

Reaction score
Ok I understand. I will need to tie each waste line into the wet vent seperately. Due to the pitch of the cafe sink run, i would have to stack 2 Sanitary Tee's on top of each other. One for the vanity (bottom) and one for the Cafe Sink (top). Is stacking them allowed? Is there a minimum distance they need to be apart from each other?

What about joining at "A"? Would this be a vent Tee?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Normally installing the new drain above the vanity one would make it too high. The vent connection would either be a vent tee or a sanitary tee inverted.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Drop the first santee to about 3" above the floor (the glue joint just above the bottom plate) and run inside the wall to where the lav is...
At the lav, put a combo looking up and another santee above it for the lav waste - extend the vent up above 42"...
Continue the waste in the wall to where you want the bar sink and use a sweep with a santee above it for that waste and then vent out the top of the tee...
Run this vent back across the wall picking up the lav vent then tying into the main vent stack...

abs_santee.jpg

Santee

Last edited by a moderator:

jamz

Reaction score
I think im getting pretty good at this :D

Here is a revised drawing per markts30's instructions.

http://home.comcast.net/~swingjamz/revised_plumbing.jpg

I totally understand this layout. But my question is the run between the sweep and the combo. Both are not in the same plane due to the pitch. How can I connect them if the are not squared to each other at each end.

JAmZ

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
You have enough play in plastic fittings that you can make the drain and vent run on grade properly and still make the vertical pipes plumb...
You should be able to get 5-6 deg play in a fitting (without straining it).
Make sure you hold the joints for 20 or so seconds after gluing so they don't push apart....
Your drain should run at 1/4" per foot to the "right" and your vent should run at a consistant grade (1/8" or so) to the left... (this allows condensation to drain from the venting system...)

Last edited:

jamz

Reaction score
I'd like to thank all of you for responding. Your help has been much appreciated.

Keep up the great work.

JAmZ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks