Plumbing a pressure relief valve

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by banjo bud, Oct 13, 2018.

1. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

i know the best way plumb one is to run the output into a drain or outside. Neither of those will be easy in any way in my situation. I’m thinking if they blow, (and what are the chances?) there can’t be that much water spewed out before it closes again. So I’m wondering if I can just route the output to a convenient spot in my crawl space. Or into a permanently placed bucket near the pump.

2. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

No, it’s going to put out a bunch of water. Say you’re on a 40-60 pressure switch and you have a 75 psi relief valve. What’s going to cause the system to go to 75 psi? A welded pressure switch. It’s not going to shut down.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

Is that common?

5. ThirdGenPump

ThirdGenPump In the Trades

Depends on the size of the pump and potential for damage.

On a regular domestic system it's rare to plumb the relief valve anywhere, it just gets aimed down in front of the pressure tank. logic is it's better it dumps water on the basement floor than blows up a random pipe in a wall somewhere. If the pump stays over pressure it will continue to dump water there.

On larger systems I always hard pipe them outside, preferably to a location someone will notice.

6. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

It’s a 1/2 HP shallow well pump.

7. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

Plumbing code says to plumb a relief valve to a floor drain or outside. Does that actually get done? Not very often.

8. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    99% of the time you will get away with it. But the 1% that has a prv pop off will certainly not like the flood it causes.