Plugging a 1/4 inch hole in PVC drain pipe under the sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr Dee

Reaction score
So, I installed a RO drinking water system yesterday under my sink. I did drill a 1/4” each hole in the drain pipe, and used a saddle to connect the RO drain rubbing.

This all works fine. But I realized I connected the saddle AFTER the p-trap, where it should probably be before.

So now I’m going have to move that saddle, and I have a quarter inch hole to plug.

What’s the easiest way to plug that hole ? It’s a 1.5” PVC pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just to be clear, is that hole in glued PVC, or is it white plastic that is not glued?

If glued PVC, you could cut a repair coupler (example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...epair-Coupling-Fitting-C4801RPHD112/100344271 ) in half long-ways, and glue it in place. Actually, if you could remove 48% and stretch the coupler to get it in place, that would be good. For glue, you could use epoxy, or you could use PVC primer and pvc glue. Apply force with tape etc while the glue hardens.

If in doubt, post a photo.

I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If your p-trap is like this one with couplings, just buy a p-trap for a few dollars and replace the arm section. Place the RO drain line above the trap in the tail piece.

p trap.png

Dr Dee

Reaction score
Just to be clear, is that hole in glued PVC, or is it white plastic that is not glued?

If glued PVC, you could cut a repair coupler (example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...epair-Coupling-Fitting-C4801RPHD112/100344271 ) in half long-ways, and glue it in place. Actually, if you could remove 48% and stretch the coupler to get it in place, that would be good. For glue, you could use epoxy, or you could use PVC primer and pvc glue. Apply force with tape etc while the glue hardens.

If in doubt, post a photo.

I am not a plumber.

Yeah, it’s glued. You can see the saddle with the tubing in the picture.

Attachments

• 520F1E95-2AB8-4ED6-9FFE-172EFCDEC03A.jpeg
    520F1E95-2AB8-4ED6-9FFE-172EFCDEC03A.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,024

Reach4

Reaction score
That is ABS rather than PVC.

One way you could do it without it looking like a patch, is to cut the pipe just beyond the hole. Glue an ABS trap adapter there. Then use slip connection pieces and replace the trap. The slip parts are usually white, but not always. You can also use chrome-plated brass.

I am not saying that is the only good way, but I think it is what I would do. With slip parts, you could disassemble for cleaning.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shoot, a hose clamp and a little piece of rubber will seal that hole. And will probably last the life of the building.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Unscrew the union on the trap.
Cut the pipe where you drilled your hole.
Cut ⅛” off the piece you just cut out.
Use ABS solvent to weld an 1-1/2” ABS coupling on the pipe stubbing out of the wall.
Weld the piece you cut out into the coupling, and retighten the union joint quickly before the weld sets.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, I installed a RO drinking water system yesterday under my sink. I did drill a 1/4” each hole in the drain pipe, and used a saddle to connect the RO drain rubbing.

This all works fine. But I realized I connected the saddle AFTER the p-trap, where it should probably be before.

So now I’m going have to move that saddle, and I have a quarter inch hole to plug.

What’s the easiest way to plug that hole ? It’s a 1.5” PVC pipe.

FAST, EASY, WON'T LEAK, CHEAP. I guarantee it
upload_2019-7-24_22-17-27.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Scotch 66 tape would probably do the job too.

Pull tight for most of the wraps, but make low-tension for the last wrap. Cut the end with scissors, rather than tear.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks