Plastic Ferrule Reliable on Copper Tubing?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIYorBust, Mar 5, 2019.

1. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Member

Hi Folks,

Wanted to run this by the experts, and the beginners. Connecting a new dishwasher last weekend, I did not have a brass ferrule on hand, so I used a plastic ferrule to make the compression joint between 3/8 copper tubing and a chrome/brass stop valve. The nut was also brass. The connection seems ok. My concern is that this home can be vacant for long periods, and I'm wondering if the plastic ferrule will be as durable/reliable as a brass one would be. I couldn't find any remarks on this as most topics that come up concern the use of a brass ferrule/sleeve on plastic pipes. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

DOB

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

I wouldn't

Sylvan likes this.
  5. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Member

Thanks folks. I did confirm the manufacturer specified it for this application(brass/copper) but I wasn't sure if it would have a shorter life or more leak risk when used that way. I can't say why I think there will be a problem, but something felt weird about doing this.