Placement of Bathroom Fan Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
I am installing bathroom fans where none existed before wife and I bought house, and I'm using Dryer Jack magnetic dryer vents for air exit. Bathrooms are back to back on second floor of split level home, with one window each.

I want to install two vents, side by side, out the gable above bathrooms, close to ceiling joists so vent tubing will be level. I'm asking if there is a certain amount of space that's required between window and vent, as vents will be between bathroom windows, with about 1 1/2' between window and vent. Photo shows area, but you can't see other bathroom window.

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

• IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 161

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
2015 IRC says 36" from operable window, with no exceptions for bathroom exhaust. But since the exhaust from the fan is exactly what would be exhausted by the open window, AND it is considered "non-noxious" (pun needed here), you might be able to convince your local AHJ to allow a lesser distance.

If you have the room maybe consider a single inline fan with two intakes and a single exhaust, that might let you increase the separation distance between the exhaust vent and the windows.

Are you sure the exhaust fan(s) will be powerful enough to force open the Dryer Jack vent when they run?

Thomas K

Reaction score
2015 IRC says 36" from operable window, with no exceptions for bathroom exhaust. But since the exhaust from the fan is exactly what would be exhausted by the open window, AND it is considered "non-noxious" (pun needed here), you might be able to convince your local AHJ to allow a lesser distance.

If you have the room maybe consider a single inline fan with two intakes and a single exhaust, that might let you increase the separation distance between the exhaust vent and the windows.

Are you sure the exhaust fan(s) will be powerful enough to force open the Dryer Jack vent when they run?

Dryer Jack website says 70 cfm needed to open; I bought a 90 cfm fan. I can install the vent higher, but won't that make any condensation drip back downhill into fan assembly? I was planning to use sheet metal ducting for fan ductwork, and insulating ductwork when installed.

I like the way you think. Maybe I should foil-tape vent to fan and see if it opens it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks