Pilot Light Remains "ON"

Users who are viewing this thread

cs2kplus

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to turn off my boiler pilot light. I turn knob towards the gapped area shown and there is a stop. In this position the pilot light remains on. I assume it needs to be in the cut open area? Someone suggested lifting it up? It already is in the springs up position. I would think lifting it would just remove it from its stem? This setup is different than what I am used to. How do I get this in off position? Would be nice if there was an arrow....but...no.

Thanks,

Wayne

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
To turn a White-Rodgers gas valve to the fully off position you have to push it down slightly while turning it clockwise. See Step #4 under Lighting Instructions, on page 5 of the manual where it reads:

"Depress gas control knob slightly and turn clockwise to OFF (see fig. 8). If knob is in ON, turn clockwise to PILOT, then depress knob slightly and turn clockwise to OFF. NOTE: Knob cannot be turned from PILOT to OFF unless knob is depressed slightly. Do not use tools or excessive force."

cs2kplus

Reaction score
Ok....thanks everyone. Here's the deal. The base of the dial forms a point in the back. Only clue where home base is. I turned the dial and....here's the trick....slightly drop the plunger...not all the way...cause it will be blocked if you push too far. Has to be like 1/4 of the way. Then it can complete its rotation to OFF in the back of the unit. Too tricky for most to want to deal with. What's wrong with instructions on the valve assembly? I guess that adds to the cost of the part. By the way...its called a White-Rodgers gas valve. Also ...yes ...if all else failed I was going to cut the gas. Thanks Dana for getting me in the right direction!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks