PEX fitting dezincification issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Before or after buying the house, I would get a go no-go gauge for crimps. If the go gauge did not slide over sufficiently from any side, I would re-crimp the accessible fittings. Crimp tools should be calibrated periodically , and the tool used here may not have been calibrated. Leakage does not seem too bad, so it seems it could be an acceptable risk to me, since the crimps you show seem pretty consistent and very small. In fact, there may have been leakage early, and it has entirely stopped. I would turn the well pressure switch down to maybe 30/50 psi, and adjust the precharge accordingly. If city water, I might turn the PRV pressure down to 40 psi. See time 0:39 for info on how to use a go no-go gauge.

If the crimps gauge to be correct, then the dezincification theory would seem to be the deal.

I am not a plumber, and I have not done any crimp pex. The F1960 expansion fittings with pex-A I have used have the advantage that you can't make a connection that initially looks good and does not leak, without it being good.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
.............And then.....we found out last night the roof needed replacing in the next 2 years...and then a few hours later the appraisal came back 50k below contract price. We are negotiating and asking for them to pay for a new appraisal so we'll see what happens. The universe may be telling us to steer clear of this place...we'll see.

Ever since the housing crunch a decade ago, banks are real finicky on appraisals and usually won't budge. They lost billions of dollars and they are not to repeat it again, but now with the virus going on, they are getting nervous again.

The roof needs to be replaced. No such thing as two more years left. How is that figured? It needs a roof or it does not need a roof. If it is more than 15 years old, they are worn out even with so called 30 year roofs. Fortunately, you are over 200 miles from the coast so a hurricane will not be in full force as it was when it hit the coast but still you'll still lose singles with very high winds.

If you like the house, it fits the family, neighborhood, schools, shopping, etc, go for it. Everything can be fixed and is negotiable. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks