Peroxide injection ratio to KL filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaylivi

Reaction score
Good mornning,

I finally installed a softener and KL backwashing system with hydrogen peroxide injection. The tank for the hydrogen peroxide solution is quite large and I believe I need to mix it with water, but how do I know how much water to use with one gallon of nuetra sul 7% solution?

My water:
ph 7.8
H 400 mg/l
iron 2.61
sulfate 52.8
nitrate .15

So, do I dilute the 7% solution in the holding tank? Also, what is the easiest way to change how much I soften the water?
Thanks,
Jay

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why are you using peroxide? Chlorine is much more readily available, cheaper and test kits used to determine the residual are easier to find.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your H2O2 solution only used during regeneration?

Jaylivi

Reaction score
The peroxide is for regen only, I believe. I am using to reduce/eliminate sulfate, a distinct suflur smell and iron and was told it would improve the function of the KL system. But I'm still have my well/filtration system training wheels on...

Reach4

Reaction score
My iron+H2S system uses 1.5 cuft of Centaur Carbon which draws from a 15 gallon solution tank during the BD phase of regeneration. I add 1 gallon of bleach to the empty tank, and top off with water. Softened water would be better for the topping off.

I marked the solution level after each regeneration (3 days) the first 5 weeks. I get 12 doses, it turns out. I refill every 5 weeks rather than 36 days for more convenient scheduling.

My controller program has BD=(??? wrote it down somewhere) and BF=0. Write down your settings.

My system is not the same as yours. The 1 gallon amount came from the very knowledgeable plumber who was recommended by the seller and the seller. Because it is only used in the backwash, it is less critical than a continuous injection system. The regenerating solution gets rinsed away before the tank is placed back in service. But anyway, ask the seller how much to use as a starting point. I am not saying that you should not seek out an actual calculation to use. But for now, without info to the contrary, I would go with that procedure. I used a Sharpie marker to mark the levels on the tank. Tape would have been good too. I used a little tick mark initally, and then added more uniform lines and numbers. Since my number go 12 down to 1, I did not know to write 12 at the top until I had accumulated the marks. I did miss one the first time, but it was easy to interpolate the missing tick.

I suspect that 7% H2O2 is roughly comperable to 7% chlorine bleach for the purpose. But I am not at all sure. People say the H2O2 is more reactive for oxidization purposes but less reactive for sanitizing purposes.

drate

Reaction score
If Im not mistaken, if you intend to use H2O2 only for regeneration / brine, it will not reduce the H2S, as brining primary goal is to sanitize, remove bacteria, clean better the KL media etc. For H2S removal (bad smell), I think you need to apply oxidation, either using aeration or peroxide constant feed and let it inside contact tank, before it goes to the KL media ?

Reach4

Reaction score
This is a snip from one of the Katalox Light documents. It has info on optional hydrogen peroxide or potassium permanganate dosing during regen.

You are not actually going to have KL remove sulfate. You are actually smelling H2S, which is what you want to remove. It is hard to quantitatively measure H2S. But 1 mg/l (1 ppm) of H2S would be a lot, I think.
http://aesl.ces.uga.edu/publications/watercirc/HydrogenSulfide.pdf seems to say 1 ppm is not so much.

img_1.png

I tried doing some math. I came up with a crazy low number... a little less than 0.4 ounce in 15 gallons. That seems way low. So you work numbers, and see what you think.

Note that when you draw from the solution tank, water is added in. So it might be roughly 2 parts water with 1 part from the tank giving 3 parts total. So the injected mix will be about 1/3 of the solution strength.

Also, there is water in the tank already. So probably you need to account for that. I don't know how to treat that. How about a WAG (not even a SWAG) factor? How about multiply by 10, and use 4 ounces, which is 1/2 cup, into 15 gallon solution tank.

So it needs more knowledge to properly select a dose. But I now think that a gallon in 15 gallon tank is probably too strong.

Edit: Also check this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ilox-type-medias-and-hydrogen-peroxide.59626/ It is about injection rather than dosing, but still has some relevant info.

Last edited:

drate

Reaction score
Thank You Reach4.

I've found also interesting info here regarding ratio of h2o2 constant injection. It says that ratio depends on the water ph and ofcourse level of H2S ppm in raw water. In case ph is 7.8 (on the edge of neutral & alkalic), the ratio would be around 4:1 (4 ppm of peroxide for each 1 ppm of h2s). So if we assume 1 mg/l of h2s, the 4mg/l of peroxide must be added, and yes it is not a lot, but on yearly basis it can become significant.

EDIT: so it is quite the same as watch-water leaflet, they've written 4,5 mg/l of H2O2 for 1mg/l of H2S. And I remember one post of dittohead, (cant find it) the max tolerance of plumbing system for peroxide is 15ppm.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_382 Jan. 03 22.13.png
    ScreenHunter_382 Jan. 03 22.13.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks