P-Traps - Seal Depth Greater than 4"

Users who are viewing this thread

Gundraw

Reaction score
Anyone know the implications of a P-trap having a seal depth greater than 4"? I would like to assemble a P-Trap using LT fittings to aid in cleanout from a potential clog for a floor drain. My last home was plagued with cast iron drains with clogged (integrated) ptrap. A 3" P-trap using LT 90's seemed an easier prospect to clean down the road.

Doing this makes the seal depth closer to 6". Didn't know if this would pose a practical problem for use. I noticed the IPC mentions 4" max or deeper for special designs...

Random side question, does a floor drain P-trap need to face in the direction of flow perfectly, or can it be angled by, say 45 degrees. I have seen This Thread that makes it clear that this is okay for sink p-traps, but didn't know if floor drains caused an issue.

Gundraw

Reaction score
Just food for thought, I called a company that manufactures deep seal traps. Their response was that the primary concern with deep seal traps it the amount of water (weight) being suspended at all times. Also, they stated that the additional depth may cause the water to overcome more inertia to start flowing well.

The first is not a concern for me as this will be poured into a slab. The second will have to be tested, but I would expect normal floor drain usage would not be problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks