P-Trap Up

Users who are viewing this thread

Chowsman

Reaction score
I would like to push the p-trap up into the floor joists so I don't have to box it out. Is it ok to use two 90's that eventually connect into the stack? Or should I be using two 22.5's (sweeping corner)?

Attachments

• IMG_6140.jpg
    IMG_6140.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 94

Reach4

Reaction score
No,, because your p-trap needs to be vented before turning downward. The old configuration did that.

From what I have read, if using an AAV in Canada, they want the AAV 6 inches above the flood level of the thing served, which would be the top of the standpipe. I could be wrong on that. Might have been a different provence.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would like to push the p-trap up into the floor joists so I don't have to box it out. Is it ok to use two 90's that eventually connect into the stack? Or should I be using two 22.5's (sweeping corner)?
As stated you can't raise the trap arm above the vent opening.

Chowsman

Reaction score
No,, because your p-trap needs to be vented before turning downward. The old configuration did that.

From what I have read, if using an AAV in Canada, they want the AAV 6 inches above the flood level of the thing served, which would be the top of the standpipe. I could be wrong on that. Might have been a different provence.
Ok but this is connected to a bathtub above. Would it be ok in this case?

Chowsman

Reaction score
So this is not allowed?? The proposed configuration??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.52.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.52.07 PM.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 77

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
So this is not allowed?? The proposed configuration??
I am not a plumber.

The following is from the "Plumbing Code of Canada 2015". I have highlighted the parts I think relate to what Reach & John are talking about.

2.5.6.3. Location of Vent Pipes

1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) and (3), vent pipes that protect a fixture trap shall be located so that
a) the developed length of the trap arm is not less than twice the size of the fixture drain,

b) the total fall of the trap arm is not greater than its inside diameter, and
c) the trap arm does not have a cumulative change in direction of more than 135°. (See Note A-2.5.6.3.(1).)

2) The trap arm of water closets, of S-trap standards or of any other fixture that also discharges vertically and depends on siphonic action for its proper functioning shall not have a cumulative change in direction of more than 225°. (See Note A-2.5.6.3.(2).)

3) A vent pipe that protects a water closet or any other fixture that also depends on siphonic action for its proper functioning shall be located so that the distance between the connections of the fixture drain to the fixture and the vent pipe does not exceed a) 1 m in the vertical plane, and b) 3 m in the horizontal plane. (See Note A-2.5.6.3.(3).)

4) The maximum length of every trap arm shall conform to Table 2.5.6.3.

The full document is available here: https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/fra/voir/td/?id=7b2d8a08-0073-41c9-8153-7819afd8deae&dp=2&dsl=en

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The proposed layout creates a potential siphon. Fill the tub with water, put a slight blockage in the vertical drain so that the drain between there and the tub stays filled with water while draining, and after the tub drains the trap will not be full.

That is why it's not allowed, and the rule is called the trap weir rule. In the drawing below, the red line is meant to be dead level (the trap arms were not drawn with slope relative to the rulings). The red line touches the "trap weir," which is the point water first spills out of the trap as you slowly fill it. The top-most part of the opening of the vent takeoff has to be above the red line. I.e. there has to be a continuous air space between the trap and the vent, above the red line, which is what prevents siphoning.

if you want to raise the trap, you have to raise the san-tee at the vertical stack so the trap weir rule is still satisfied.

Cheers, Wayne

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.52.07 PM.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks