Outdoor faucets not working

Users who are viewing this thread

Mpkrva

Reaction score
hello!

We have a townhome and recently shut off the main valve (in the front yard) to change a cartridge in the upstairs shower. When we turned the water back on, all indoor faucets and washing machine work fine. However our outdoor spigots have stopped working. If we leave them for a few days and then turn one on, it spits water for 10 seconds or so and then runs dry.

The main shut off is the only shut off valve we have. These aren’t winterized spigots and we’re working fine before shutting if the water for the shower repair.

I’ve double checked the main shut off and it is full on, I’ve tried running other faucets inside while turning outside faucets on and off, I’ve turn the main shut off on and off with spigots open and closed and now I’m at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Turn off the water and remove the valve stems at the spots. Look for debris and that the seat washer is intact, the screw is tight and the washer material is not disintegrating. With the valve stems removed turn in the water to flush the lines. If water flows freely then you know it is the spot valves. If not it is further upstream.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You may not had to turn off the water at the main. The shower valve body may have had is own built in "stops". Some do not have valve stops. It all depends on the plumber and local code. This is a delta valve body.

Attachments

• delta body with w stops.jpg
    delta body with w stops.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 119

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHenever you turn off the main valve and drain the lines, the shock of reintroducing water will knock loose any crud that may have accumulated on the inside of the pipes and potentially move stuff like sand or other stuff that can clog up aerators, shower heads, and other things in your home. At the least, it's likely the water will be discolored for the first few minutes while it flushes out the lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks