Order of equipment install

Users who are viewing this thread

Spicysalsaverde

Reaction score
I have a water softener, expansion tank, instant on water heater and 44 outlet manifold. In what order should I mount the equipment on my mechanical room wall and how much clearance should I leave around each piece of equipment for installation of PEX and future maintenance? Appreciate any help. Thanks

image000000.jpg

Justintime

Reaction score
Not a pro, but have plumbed two houses. I'd do water heater first as it looks like it's a gas unit, and you may be limited by gas lines and exhaust location. Then I'd do manifold to make sure you have enough room for the runs. I built a manifold using copper exactly like Just Needs Paint and found that I needed quite a bit of room for the pex bends. Finally, while placing these two I'd make sure that there is another room for the water softener, but that shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind the flow of water, and try not to make things too complicated. For instance, try to make the water flow sequentially from one side of the room to the other and arrange the equipment in that order. Just makes a cleaner mechanical room.

Your hot water heater is vented to the outside, I assume, so your clearance needs are fairly minimal (I'd still try and get a 12-18 inches clearance all the way around): Ernie Graves

I'm curious why you are using an expansion tank if your water heater is tankless, I don't think you need this? 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC) section 608.3

Spicysalsaverde

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. Wondering why you wouldn't put softener first though as it is was prevents the build up of minerals throughout the whole system. Could be that I presented my question incorrectly. I want to know the order in which to plumb them. Happy Monday and thanks again.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
mostly whatever looks convieniant . ex the x tank can go anywhere the softener close to the main coming in

Reach4

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. Wondering why you wouldn't put softener first though as it is was prevents the build up of minerals throughout the whole system. Could be that I presented my question incorrectly. I want to know the order in which to plumb them. Happy Monday and thanks again.
In this post, think you are implying that the installations could be separated by significant time. If installations are within a few days, then considerations are different. If your WH mounts to the wall, then having that first keeps the area clear for the big lift and attachment.

In laying stuff out, note that a non-cabinet softener can be separated from the media tank if it helps things.

I will say this about PEX: having short inline connections makes it hard to run. Having some offset actually makes connection to a softener easier. I placed my softener making the softener input in line with the incoming pipe. I ended up jogging right, down a tad, and back left to pick up the softener. That added some flexibility. I will add that IMO the path at the softener should have a right angle rather than straight. Straight makes it hard to save space by putting the tank close to the wall.

index.php

I got some Fleck angles that let me turn up so my bypass valve is not sticking out. The drips of water are not from a leak, but instead I accidently sprayed water before I happened to take the photo. The cover is off of the valve in the picture.

Last edited:

Justintime

Reaction score

Softener, expansion tank, heater, manifold.

Yes, I misunderstood, it appears. What John said. That way the entire system is protected. The hot water heater in particular is prone to hard water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the way you have them now might work out if water is on left .
justintime Im assuming everything is being softened but thats up to you hard water to kitchen cold , refiridgerator , and hose bibs.
Havent done much pex but seen some images of the manifold systems with sweeping bends and that takes space on a wall its going to be pretty wide though. I was thinking it would be tight like you have them expansion tank could be above the filter freeing up wall space

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks