Orangeburg, TerraCotta, or PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
Our home was built in the mid-50's. Most of the homes in the neighborhood had orangeburg used for the sewer lines and have since been replaced. I purchased the home in 1994 and (finger-crossed) have never had an issue with the sewer. However, I'd like to know if orangeburg was installed, would it have lasted this long without any issues? Similarly, if terracotta was installed in the 50's, would it have lasted this long?
I couldn't find any permits at town hall that show a sewer line replacement. Short of a camera inspection, any guesses on what might be in place for the sewer line?
What is a typical cost for camera inspection?
If it is orangeburg, can it be relined instead of replaced?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
could have cast iron too but not typical. Clay on solid ground without movement and tree roots should / could last a century without issue. Orangeburg I dont know how long to expect. The stuff is crap but Ive seen homes without issues.
If you have no issues and arent building something over the sewer Im not so sure Id investigate. now if you are excavating and tearing out your yard then its a good time to concider replacing old pipes

Reach4

Reaction score
Terracotta could still be working OK from the 50s. The thing that usually brings about the failure is tree roots.

I have no info on orangeburg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks