Orangeberg used in 1987???

Users who are viewing this thread

Weakenedwarrior

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my sewer backed up. Every time we used our plumbing, I was getting water in the floor drain of my basement. We called the local company that uses pressurized water to clean the pipes. $140 later all was well, but he said the cast iron floor drain needed to be replaced. he said it was so rusty that it was almost closed shut.
I proceeded to rent a jackhammer to replace the floor drain. I discover that even though my main waste stack is PVC, the horizontal drain under my slab was orangeberg. I replaced about 6' of it with PVC from the waste stack. This was far enough to get the new floor drain, and a new stub out for the washer machine.

Fast forward two weeks later, water is backing up again. This time they come out with the camera, and discover it is orangeberg for about 40' and then is PVC after that for another 60' until it ties into the city.

Here is the kicker. My house used to have a septic tank until 1987, when they tied us into city sewer. Why would the former homeowner use orangeberg to tie into the city, instead of PVC? I see him once a year during a neighborhood picnic we have where former residents are invited. I plan on wringing his neck the next time I see him. This is not the first problem with the house that I have had to redo, because he did it wrong. He personally told me he dug out the basement and the yard and did the work himself. After digging up half of it in my basement, it looks like he just poked holes in the side of it for the laundry and the floor drain, and covered all 4 sides with concrete. I cannot believe he was too cheap to buy PVC. He probably got the orangeberg for free from someone for all I know!

There has been two people who have owned the house between when he sold it in 1989, and me buying it in 2000. Would he have any liability for this? I am not going to attempt any legal action against him. I am trying to do my part not to contribute to this sue happy society.

Sorry this is more of a venting post then an actual question. I am going to start calling for quotes tomorrow. Would I legally be able to replace it myself being that there is another 60' before the city sewer that is PVC and in good working order? O yeah, I live in MN and it has been below zero outsize the last week or so. Wish this problem was delayed until spring, but the guy with the camera said I was on borrowed time.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Orangeberg should not have been under a slab. Could the slab have been an addition that was placed over the main line? The Orangeberg may have been the original sewer line to the septic that was picked up and tied to the city sewer. I'm just giving the guy the benefit of doubt.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Anything is possible when a DIY'r goes Big Boxing

And the result is what you have.

Won't win in a court of law being there's been other names on the deed, speculation to a jury of peers which casts doubt on who really did the dirty deed, even though you know who did it.

Spike his baked beans at the family picnic with syrup of Ipecac....cut up like best buddies till he turns white. When you call him days later to see how he's doing, tell them that was payback for hacking your plumbing in,
enjoy the covered dish you bring next year!!!!

cuckoo.gif

TMB9862

Reaction score
$140 for water jetting!?

Did I get ripped off at $500 for jetting and a camera job?

Prices vary by region to do a 100ft line here would be more than $500.

The Orangeberg should not have been under a slab. Could the slab have been an addition that was placed over the main line? The Orangeberg may have been the original sewer line to the septic that was picked up and tied to the city sewer. I'm just giving the guy the benefit of doubt.
That's almost certainly what it was. The existing line was tied into and run to the city sewer. It's not an uncommon practice.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
$140 for water jetting!?

Did I get ripped off at $500 for jetting and a camera job?

I get about $1200 for a jet job. $800 first 2hrs $400 1hrs after.

They should have placed a camera in the first time to make sure the job was done right.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is a company around here that charges that kind of money for jetting...

rooterpirate-2-1.jpg

If you can find suckers that will pay that kind of money power to ya!

Last edited by a moderator:

Weakenedwarrior

Reaction score

Septic was (still is there) in the back yard. The city sewer goes out the front of the house. He did not tie into anything existing. It was all new in 1987.

Other crap he did?

Buried a 55 gallon drum with holes in it in the back yard. I found a 2" PVC pipe sticking out of the ground while mowing one day. Turns out this is where he emptied the crapper from his camper.

Added the second story on my house. He did not vent the roof. I had to replace almost all the plywood when I did a reroof.

He and other residents added thier own storm sewer and drainage field in the 60's. That was abandoned years later. but I fell in the ground up to my knee when the old one caved in.

When they added city sewer and water, the township came along and filled everyones septic tank with sand and gravel. Guess what? They ran out before they got to mine, so he volunteered to be the one shorted. Mine is still there fully intact.

Every breaker in the elec. panel had at least 3 wires shoved into them. most plumbing fixtures were not vented. The one vent he did have was not to code.

I bought the house when I was 23 and did not know any better. I have learned a lot since then. But it has all been the hard way.

Weakenedwarrior

Reaction score
Old thread but still have not replaced the sewer. So here is an update to the situation.

Apparenty some time in the early 60's the guy that used to own my house, got together with some of his neighbors, and put in a drain field, not a storm sewer. He rerouted the sewer main from the back of the house to the front. He then proceeded to add the front porch on to the house at a later date. In 1987, the township added the city sewer, and tied into the Orangeberg. I was mistaken that it was all done in 1987.

orangeberg.JPG

There is an excavating company just down the road from me who replaces sewer lines. He has not been able to figure out a safe and cheap way to replace the section of Orangeberg that is under the slab.

Has anyone run into this type of situation? Any "sure bet" ideas on replacing this section of pipe?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Orangeburg Pipe

Check For A Plumber That Doe's Pipe Bursting,
They Dig Up In The Yard And Pull New Pipe Though Without Breaking Ever Thing Up ? ?

Weakenedwarrior

Reaction score
The excavator talked to a guy that does that, but he said that the orangeberg is too brittle to pull the new stuff through.

RRW

Reaction score
I had a 24 foot section of orangeburg which was under an addition lined with a fiberglass polyester resin sleeve. It did involve shutting off the sewer for a day while the resin cured. An inflatable bladder was put into the sleeve to hold it out while it cured. The orangeburg was in good shape so the sleeve was able to be inserted with minimal problems. It was not cheap, cost $3k but had a complete guarantee and if they screwed it up it would have involved going out the side of the house and trenching around the foundation. Good Luck, RW

Weakenedwarrior

Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. You sure he knew it was pipe bursting and not pipe in pipe or something?

I just looked up trenchless pipe busting on the web.

Sounds like it was not that. This guy would attach the new pipe to the old and pull it through. I think this pipe bursting thing might work. I just have to find someone in the area who can do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks