Old basement toilet installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan H

Reaction score
IMG-20210327-WA0009.jpg
IMG_20210326_124213673.jpg
I am thinking about building a subfloor for a toilet and going directly into the cast iron sewer pipe. The picture is washed out but the silver circle is the rubber cap in the hole of the cast iron pipe I was thinking of using. Is there anything inherently wrong with doing this? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

fcrick

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd make sure I knew where the vent is in relation to that drain. If it was originally intended to be a backup floor drain or something, the closest vent might be far away, but regardless of the history, it won't flush well and will make funny noises if it doesn't have enough venting. I bought a cheap 50' usb camera before I did some basement drain work at my house, and ziptied it to a snake and took a look around. I found one drain that I think my kitchen previously drained to that was basically impassible and filled with sand and rock below the slab, for example, so sometimes when you find a drain that's mysteriously not in use, there's a reason.

Dan H

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that opening is right before the pipe heads out to the city pipe so I didn't think a clear path was a concern. Not sure on venting. Guess I'd better do more research.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks