Old ball valve, stem fused to packing nut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikegmi2

Reaction score
Hi all, so I have an old shutoff valve where I cannot for the life of me tighten the packing nut without shutting off the valve. I have a slow drip. The stem of the valve is stuck to the packing nut...so when I rotate either, they both rotate...so I cannot simply tighten the packing nut to stop the leak.

I have tried taking 2 pairs of channel locks and holding the stem firm, while trying to tighten the nut...will not budge. I have tried using some WD40, tapping all over the stem and nut to try to loosen them from one another and no luck.

It sucks because this is my main shutoff coming from my well, so it will be tough to replace if it comes to that.

Is it possible to buy a new valve, take the new packing nut/stem/handle, and replace the old stem/packing nut with new?

Or is there an easier way to stop this leak without having to cut out the old valve and replacing the whole thing?

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 244

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Instead of channel locks try using a Crescent or a good fitting open end wrench and told hack as you try to turn the handle

Channel locks have a tendency of not holding tight enough and the mar the fitting

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect you don't have a ball valve.

Hi all, so I have an old shutoff valve where I cannot for the life of me tighten the packing nut without shutting off the valve. I have a slow drip. The stem of the valve is stuck to the packing nut...so when I rotate either, they both rotate...so I cannot simply tighten the packing nut to stop the leak.
If you open the valve all of the way, is the dripping a lot slower than if the valve is partly closed?

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....acking-nut-on-main-shutoff.79208/#post-575204

Last edited:

Mikegmi2

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the leaking valve with handle off, pretty sure it is standard ball valve. The handle is blue, says NIBCO, and below that says "mss" and then "SP-110".

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 272

Mikegmi2

Reaction score
Based on the photo above, is there any trick to loosen the valve stem from the packing nut? Or a way to replace the stem/packing nut without cutting out the whole valve?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
at a time when you dont mind turning water off. get more agressive hold nut and turn stem. but your probebly going to replace valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks