Leaking packing nut on main shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick G

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a leaking packing nut on my main shutoff valve. I tried tightening the nut but it wouldn't budge.

I'm trying to find a solution without calling for a curb shutoff since its winter and I suspect someone will have to dig to locate the curb shutoff.

Could I spray something to free up the nut, then shut the valve and remove the knob & nut to replace the packing?

I'm not too familiar with these valves but from what I understand there is no pressure at the stem. See pics

fullsizeoutput_cd9d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_cd9f.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Could I spray something to free up the nut, then shut the valve and remove the knob & nut to replace the packing?
I would not spray something, unless it proves necessary.

Turn off the valve. Turn off the water heater and the water heater supply so it cannot siphon out. Then open faucets and relieve the pressure. E is a drain cap if you want to use that after you do what you can with faucets.

I would hope C andD are different pieces. Get confirmation from a plumber unless you can see they are not the same piece. I am not a plumber. If C is separate, you want to clean the crud from B with a Scotch pad etc. Hold D with a big open or quality adjustable wrench, and turn C with another quality wrench.

You may or may not have to lift the knob. I guess getting it out of the way would not hurt.

I would just wrap packing around the shaft, and C will push it into place. I like the white PTFE type, but others prefer the black graphite type. I guess you could replace the packing, but I would just try adding more.

img_1.jpg

Nick G

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, here's another pic of the setup, I have a spout after the main, then a shutoff after the spout which leads to the zones and water heater.

So I can shut valve A (main shutoff inside - water from curb is still on before this valve), open valve B to release any pressure and close valve C to cut off zones & water heater.

At that point remove the packing nut and try to fix?

fullsizeoutput_cda5.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks