OK to switch supply runs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stereo

Reaction score
I'm re-configuring a room and will be moving the register location slightly. Currently, I have two supply ducts that come off the main plenum right next to each other. To gain some headroom in the crawl space, rather than crossing the duct to Room 1 over the duct to Room 2, I'd like to switch the runs so the duct to Room 1 is on the left, inner side. The only reason I can think of that it wasn't done initially was perhaps to gain some room to make a turn up into a vertical stack. With the location of the new register, that's not an issue.

Is it OK to switch the runs or might there be an issue due to the two lines coming off the main plenum right next to each other? I read something recently that suggested that air tends to bypass the second duct if it's too close to the first. I do get air through the register connected to the second takeoff, though I don't have a way to measure flow now that the line is disconnected from the original register location. If there's any concern, I won't switch them because Room 2 is colder because it has three exterior walls and a vaulted ceiling. I don't want to deprive it of heat. The total distance of the two runs is about the same, though one is only horizontal, the other turns up.

Thank you for your advice.

IMG_20200208_0002.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks