• Navien NCB-180E

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

antonyupward

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an NTI T200 combi boiler/tankless DHW - installed in 2003. This for a 2 adult household. Loads are basement underfloor (approx 500 sq ft), one small radiator/towel rack, and a 120,000 BTU air handler (vents in all parts of the house - total 2000 sq ft). The house is older, but very well insulated - EnerGuide rating of 76/100.

Unfortunately, if I can't get the required spare parts for my NTI T200 (see this post), I am looking at replacement in the next months.

What would people recommend? Since the T200 has been "throttled" at 150,000 BTU via its max gas input setting on the controller without any problems, I believe I can safely go with a smaller ~150,000 BTU unit when I replace.

Also I'm looking for a unit with the largest possible "turn-down". The current unit min gas input setting is 40,000 BTU - but likely with the loads I have, I am getting more cycling than ideal even at 40,000 minimum setting.

Given this is a replacement, it needs to fit, and space is *very* limited.

The current NTI T200 Combi unit is a tight fit - the current unit is 20 1/2"W x 24"H x 14"D

The NTI suggested replacement is a NTI Tx151C - but is taller and deeper and will require considerable reworking of the heating and DHW pipe work.

The Navien NCB-180E appears a good option (its smaller that the T200)?

What are are people's opinions on my choices? Are there other options?

I hear good things about Veissmann - usually German technology is good - but not sure there a combi model that could work with my space?

The other possibility appears to be to replace the air-handler with an integrated combi-boiler / airhandler - something like the NTI GF200 or similar. Any thoughts on this?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
HTP's EFTC-199W wall hung combi has a 10:1 turn down ratio, with a 19,000 BTU/hr input at minimum fire. There's a floor mount version too, if that's an easier fit.

The very same combi boilers (including the floor mount version) are also sold by Laars, which may have better distribution in Canada. Westinghouse re-labels the HTP version, and sells them via Home Depot in the US, maybe Canada too. Noritz also sells the the same combi boilers with comparable specifications.

The design and manufacturing of these combis are from Kiturami, a first-tier Korean manufacturer and direct competitor with Navien (Kyung Dong boiler) both in the Korean domestic and the export markets. Unlike Navien which has it's own North American distribution & support network, Kiturami sells under contract to a handful of companies. Whose label it's purchased under matters primarily in terms of local product support. I happen to live less than an hour's drive from HTP's headquarters, so I've I'm not happy with a product of theirs I could just drive on down chuck it through their office window (but have never had to- local support near me is pretty good.) :)

bestazy

Reaction score
HTP`s EFTC-199W its very good one.I have it at my parents house.
But im personaly prefer:Worcester Greenstar FS 30CDi.
Very high quality boiler.
regards :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow.Bestazy.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
HTP`s EFTC-199W its very good one.I have it at my parents house.
But im personaly prefer:Worcester Greenstar FS 30CDi.
Very high quality boiler.
regards :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow.Bestazy.
Quality is one thing, capacity and modulation range is another.

The minimum output of that thing is a relatively high 8.6kw (~29,000 BTU/hr).

The maximum output is a relatively low ~32kw (109,ooo BTU/hr), too low for satisfactory domestic hot water performance even in moderately cool US climates, let alone the very cold incoming water temperatures of Toronto.

Reaction score
FWIW installed a Viessman Vitodens-100 B1KA combi boiler in summer 2018 and have been very happy with it so far. Ramps down way lower than the NTI, can produce the hot water we want, and its way quieter.

In terms of reliability... hopefully better than the NTI (although it was partly installation that led to some of my problems), and at least we can be fairly sure they will keep parts in stock for a good long time as is normal German practice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks