Non-standard hose bibb supply connection (not hose side)?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rileyroo, May 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

1. Rileyroo

Rileyroo New Member

Some time ago, I removed a vacuum-breaker because the flow from the faucet was less than the other outdoor faucet on my house.

I didn't realize that it had the pin to make it un-removeable, so I proceeded to mess up the threads where the thing connects.

No problem, I'll just replace the hose bibb as it is screwed into the supply line fitting.

When I got the replacement hose bibb (male threads), I can only get it to screw on about 1-1/2 turns at best before it stops. The one I took off was a full 5 turns to tight. Not wanting to force it, I removed it and compared the threads to the old bibb.

The threads on the old bibb are a bit finer than the new one (which is 1/2").

So now I'm trying to figure out why this hose bibb has odd threads. If I can find the manufacturer, perhaps I can get an exact replacement which would be the easiest solution. Or determine what the thread size is, perhaps I can find a replacement somewhere.

Changing out the entire fitting will be difficult since I can't access from the inside of the house (shiplap on walls), and changing from outside involves removing the "pad" where the pipe exits the house (concrete siding).

I'm attaching a picture of the hose bibb that shows the manufacturer's marking...does anyone know who this manufacturer is?

Also attaching a picture of the old hose bibb next to a new 1/2" bibb. The old one is on the right. You can see that the threads are different. Any idea what thread size this could be? I don't have any thread gages (that would have made it too easy).

The hose bibb is only 4 years old, so I would think the manufacture is probably still in business.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    did the existing hose bib have Teflon tape on it? look inside the female connection for a rubber gasket. those might also be strait threads.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

14 TPI vs 16 TPI?

1/2 inch compression is 16 TPI and 1/2 NPT is 14 TPI.

That brass nipple may be some kind of adapter.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman Active Member

ProFlo (Ferguson Ent.) compression hose bibb.

[​IMG]

MASTERPLUMB777 and Reach4 like this.
  6. Mr tee

Mr tee New Member

I think you have a compression valve and need one IPS threads.

7. Rileyroo

Rileyroo New Member

Great, compression hose bibb, and now I know I can get a replacement from Ferguson since that is the brand I have installed. Thanks for everyone's input.