NM 6/3 wire from main panel to NEMA 14-50 socket 1 foot away.

Users who are viewing this thread

chinna na

Reaction score
Gentleman,

Trying to install a NEMA 14-50 socket for electric vehicle charging near the main panel inside garage. Trying to install everything as per code and pass inspection.

The closest location is about a foot away from main panel. I installed the 50AMP breaker in the lowest position in the panel. I can not install 14-50 socket directly under the panel as there is Low voltage On-Q box. Though there is just enough space, I want to keep low-voltage cables (Lan and RG6) away from power. So I installed it on the right side , below panel level. But this has to go thru a 6x2 stud. That was not a problem.

I used Heavy wall 2 Gang old work box about 3 inches from stud(right side of the panel, closer to panel side stud), and ran the wiring. Because of neutral connection location and ground wire, I had to use about 3 1/2 foot wire. I used locking NM connector at the bottom of the panel.

From actual panel to socket, wire length may be about 16 inches as it comes out of bottom of panel curves and go thru stud to locking gangbox. I see for Gangbox with locking entry, there seems to be a requirement to secure the NM cable within 12 inches. This cable is as hard/stiff as steel rod, and locked at both end of the cable.

I am not sure how I could secure this cable further anywhere within 12 inches. I was wondering if there a way to secure this where it coming from hole in the stud and going towards the panel. So, it more like securing cable when it is passing thru the stud. Can not seem to find any clamps to do that either.

I want to make sure I pass the inspection. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge in using correct terminology. Still learning.. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Any tips, suggestions!
1. A photo makes the post more interesting and it communicates better.
2. You need patience. You are bumping your post less than 7 hours after you posted.

This is the general concept of what you are asking about, but you are talking about a big NM through a stud. This is the best I found to communicate the concept of the clamp function, even though it is not too close to what you are dealing with.

4-89.jpg

Last edited:

chinna na

Reaction score
Reach4,

Thanks for the image. Yes that represents what I was looking for. The above photos seems to suggest grommet for metal stud.

In my case it is regular wooden stud, hence I would assume I would not need any grommet. I can improvise some custom bracket, but it seem any clamp we want to use must be approved/listed. That is where I am not sure of what is accepted norm and what is not.

Stuff

Reaction score
Why not move the low voltage? It is not code to have it below an electrical panel so you might fail over that.

chinna na

Reaction score
Stuff,

Low-voltage all wires are going under main panel and it is done by builder(Built in 2014). I would assume it is inspected. Are you saying it is not code to have On-Q panel under main electrical panel? Are there any distance requirements? All the main service connections are coming from above the Panel.

Thanks

Stuff

Reaction score
The area below the panel and 6' above up to ceiling is to be dedicated to the electrical system. Most of the time the issue is someone wants to put plumbing there and gets told no but nothing "foreign to the electrical installation" is allowed. Maybe the local inspectors were convinced the On-Q was related.

chinna na

Reaction score
Stuff, would you mind pointing me to the Code about this requirement so that I can make sure I am fixing any/all issues possible?

chinna na

Reaction score
Stuff, thanks for Code reference. That seems to refer to outdoor installs. Mine in inside garage, probably that's why that code requirement was not applied to Builder install.

Stuff

Reaction score
The first part of that section is for indoor with the second section for outdoor. Both have dedicated space requirements. Wording is tweaked tweaked from "floor" to "grade" and reference to ceiling removed for outdoor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks