Newbie installing vertical pump - should I try?

Users who are viewing this thread

catldavis

Reaction score
I have a piece of property that had a house on it that was torn down. I've since put a structure on the property and would like to try and use the existing well casing. I've never installed a vertical pump (or any pump for that matter) but would like to attempt to. The existing casing is 2" galvanized with an adapter already attached. I poured water down the casing to ensure it will hold water and it took less than a gallon and held for quite a few minutes. I have a FloTech FP4432 pump to install on the casing. As I contemplated installing the pump, I have a few questions:

1) How do I know if the casing adapter currently on the casing will work with my pump?

2) How is the pump actually mounted to the casing adapter? I purchased a mounting kit from the local plumbing store, it came with two threaded bolts and a two hole gasket. The FloTech has three "ears" (for lack of a better term) on the bottom, but they obviously will stick out beyond the casing. With the two threaded bolts, do they just thread down in to the casing adapter and in to the bottom of the pump? I could find no documentation or Youtube videos that explained this in any detail or specificity.

3) There's two sides to the adapter, both appear to be threaded. There are two holes in the bottom of the pump. Does the pump have to align a certain way or can it be mounted either way?

4) I have new 10/3 run to the pump location. Is it best to wire it as 220 or 110? The pump was used by a friend for a short time before he had to have a new well drilled (and a submersible pump). How do I know what the pump is currently wired for?

5) Assuming I can get the pump installed, approximately how much water should it take to prime?

I kind of feel like I should hire someone to install the pump but also would like to take a chance so I can learn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is throw that pos FloTec in the pond then go buy a real pump from a real supply house. While you're there show them pics of your casing and they will sell you the right equipment.

230 is always better than 115. Most jet pumps can be wired for either voltage but you have to remove the end cap to change the wiring. A schematic should be on the motor sticker.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lol Craigpump. Tell us how you really feel about those Flotecs. :)

But I agree. It might work though if it had the right casing adapter. Can't make a two hole fit a three hole. I think everybody should try this. You will either figure out how smart you are or learn why the pros charge so much. Either is good. It is a big job replacing the casing adapter. It would be easier to find a pump that fits it. But that is no guarantee it will work and you might still have to pull the casing adapter and pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks