New Yorker CG40E Question/Concern with flashing power LED

Users who are viewing this thread

Brett Groff

Reaction score
I had a new CG40E New Yorker boiler installed back in April 2019 for two heating zones and so far it has been running good. The boiler also has an integrated bolier control and I have set the high limit to 170 degrees.

Recently, I noticed that when our 2nd zone thermostat calls for heat the power button LED sometimes flashes five times while the Tstat/Circ LED is solid and the Limit LED is solid. When this happens the boiler temperature will get down to 85 or 75 degrees and then the burners will kick on and then kick off when the high limit is reached.

Today I noticed while the 2nd zone call for heat was on, the power button LED was solid and the Tstat/Circ was also solid, while the limit LED was off. While this was going on, the boiler would reach its high limit, the burners would shut off, it would drop about 20 degrees, and the burners would kick back on.

In the winter, our second zone thermostat never gets up to our set temperature of 70 degrees, so the call for heat is always on. When our 1st zone thermostat calls for heat, it will turn on the circulator but the burners won't turn on if say the temperature is at 100 degrees. Again, it will get down to 85 degrees and then kick on.

My question is should I be concerned about this and have my installer come back and take a look.

Thanks.

Brett Groff

Reaction score
I would assume then the thermistor sensor is bad or is not detecting water temperature properly.

I have no idea where the thermistor is and the manual says something about checking if it's all the way in the well? I guess I'm going to have to have my boiler tech come out and take a look.

Brett Groff

Reaction score
I didn't touch any piping near the unit at that time but I did periodically touch some piping along zone 2 when the temperature was low.

Is the power button flashing indicating that the supply and return temperatures don't match you think? I find it odd that sometimes it flashes and sometimes it doesn't. It seems like when it's solid LED the boiler is working correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks