New water pressure tank will not take on water from pump

Users who are viewing this thread

ymelnic1

Reaction score
Hello all. I have installed a new StaRite 1 1/2" HP shallow well jet pump for a shallow well. I went ahead and tested the system after priming it through a mock-up pipe to make sure the pump was drawing water from the well. After a minute or so, the water started flowing and everything checked out. Next step was to add a water pressure (holding) tank. I ordered a 86Gal Water Worker and installed with the brass tee, gauge, pressure relief valve etc. The outlet line that will will be the future irrigation line is currently capped until I start running the 2" irrigation pipe.

The pressure switch on the pump is 30/50 and there is not a pressure switch on the tee itself since the pipe from the pump to the tank is less than 10'. The tank came pre-pressurized to 38psi. I lowered the pressure to 28 for the pump cut in.

Here comes the issue - when I tested the system, the pressure gauge at the tee reads +/- 30psi and the tank does not take on water (it is totally empty and I can move it around with ease). I let the system run for about 4 mins hoping it was just a slow process to fill the tank and the pump did not cut off, but one of the pressure fittings actually popped off and water sprayed everywhere... I'm at a loss here as I'm just a DIYer. Please help.

Attached is a sketch of my setup.

Attachments

• 201901240929.pdf
    199.9 KB · Views: 149
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks