New vanity and drains are way off

Users who are viewing this thread

tzzoooma

Reaction score
New sink is about 6" taller and 1' to the side of the drain stub out.

Is there a specific way to tackle getting them connected with a new p trap, or particular bend I need to use? Or what I shouldn't do?

tzzoooma

Reaction score
Thanks, but as much as I try, I haven't a clue what that is, or could possibly be? Is there another name?

Jastori

Reaction score
You want a vertical extension piece from the sink drain so that you can lower the trap to the height consistent with your drain stub-out in the wall.

You want to use a standard p-trap, and have a small downhill slope from the exit of the p-trap to the wall.

You can probably use a 45 deg. bend from your drain stub-out, and angle the exit of the p-trap towards it. You will probably need a horizontal extension to reach the wall.

From a top-view, there is no problem with the anglesto reach your 1' offset. From a side-view, you want to keep the slopes standard so as to avoid an "s-trap" situation.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
no bends or turns between p trap and sanitary tee in wall. If you do put bends you take the risk of improper venting.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
If you are installing a new trap and have no experience with this stuff you might want to hire a plumber to do it. Simply because the trap must be installed properly in order to maintain proper water seal to prevent sewer gas and vermin from entering your house.

If you are going to tackle the job yourself, do as much research as possible first. What kind of stub out do you have? cast iron, pvc, abs, copper?

A swivel trap might make it easier for you. You have to basically figure out how to make connection from the sink tailpiece(this piece should be provided with your faucet) to the stub out and in between a properly installed trap. Point A to Point B. Piece of cake.:eek:

I don't see why you need to replace trap. The sink height or the fact that it's over a foot should not have required a new trap. Just replacement of the pieces in between the trap and sink.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
no bends or turns between p trap and sanitary tee in wall. If you do put bends you take the risk of improper venting.

The pipes under my kitchen sink have a lot of bends after the P trap. All copper fittings installed by the plumber when the house was built in 1958.

Nate R

Reaction score
The pipes under my kitchen sink have a lot of bends after the P trap. All copper fittings installed by the plumber when the house was built in 1958.

1958's standards are a little different than today. There's a reason S Traps are no longer allowed.

tzzoooma

Reaction score
So I need to extend the stub out, then install the old P-trap (or a new elongated one?), then route from there to the sink drain, to do it properly?

Jastori

Reaction score
Having a bend after the p-trap is not equivalent to having a s-trap. A bend in the horizontal plane should not cause problems with venting or siphoning of the trap.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Having a bend after the p-trap is not equivalent to having a s-trap. A bend in the horizontal plane should not cause problems with venting or siphoning of the trap.

That is correct. As long as you keep the bend within the horizontal plane at 1/4"/ft pitch not exceeding the developed length allowed under code you are okay.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
That is correct. As long as you keep the bend within the horizontal plane at 1/4"/ft pitch not exceeding the developed length allowed under code you are okay.

Yup, the brass P trap still remains lower than the exit point into the drain/vent stack.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
don't see the need to make bends after the p trap. Install P trap first on sanitary tee with a short length of pipe. Then from there connect from trap to sink strainer and you can't go wrong.

I'm trying to think of a case where you would need bends between the trap and sanitary tee but I can't.

tzzoooma

Reaction score
don't see the need to make bends after the p trap. Install P trap first on sanitary tee with a short length of pipe. Then from there connect from trap to sink strainer and you can't go wrong.

I'm trying to think of a case where you would need bends between the trap and sanitary tee but I can't.

Problem is getting from the p-trap to the tail piece - sideways distance that is 1 foot', and therefore longer than the distance the p-trap can reach when swiveled.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Problem is getting from the p-trap to the tail piece - sideways distance that is 1 foot', and therefore longer than the distance the p-trap can reach when swiveled.

I'm talking about from the p-trap to the sanitary tee in the wall.

To get from the trap to the strainer is easy. Just install the strainer first and then the tail piece(make sure it's not too long, cut if necessary) , then all you need is 2 j bends and a swivel trap. You should be able to make the hookup with those pieces. The first j bend points towards the trap. The second brings you down into the trap. Using the correct washers and nuts to bring up the pipe size to the trap.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks